Chapter 38

When I got home, I was met with my Little sister in the living room watching something on TV. I walked over to where she was sitting and placed my bag on the table sitting next to her. 

"Hey_" I greeted but she ignores my attempt to start a conversation. Needles, I continue to talk to her with hopes of getting her to start talking to me. 

"Why aren't you helping Mom out at the bakery?" I asked. During the weekends, she would always help out at the bakery even though Mom has a reasonable amount of workers now.  

"Because I don't want to… " 

"Look Kim, are you still mad at the fact that I was being honest and a big sister to you? " I asked with a sigh. She should be thanking her stars that I haven't told Mom about it yet. 

"No, April just leave me alone! I don't want to do this right now."

"Hey… Kim look you may feel like I don't know what you're going through but trust me I do. But for me to be able to help you, you need to talk to me…Is that boy threatening you?"

" What?! No! Shane would never do that."

"What is it then? Kim, you have to talk to__"

"I don't want to do this April, leave me alone." She spoke walking up the stairs. After about a minute I heard her door slam very loudly and I slowly exhaled.  

I didn't even know I was holding my breath. I walked into my room as well.  Trying to forget about my little sister and figure out what to wear to Maxwell's apartment. 

I could use a little distraction. Today's been a pretty hectic day, I just hope nothing goes wrong with this movie date.  If that's what I should call it. 

I didn't get too dressed since we're probably gonna be stuck on a couch under a dim light watching TV. So I skipped my makeup routine and simply put on black jeans and a navy blue sweatshirt. I wanted to wear slides but for the reputation of the Wilders, I put on some kick-off and I was ready to go. 

Honestly, I wanted to be as casual as I could be. Something about being myself around Maxwell was getting into my head. I think I need deliverance. Sigh.

The entire drive to Flush Hills I was a nervous wreck. I haven't been to his apartment officially… well obviously except for when I had to become his driver when he was drunk. 

I'm nervous because I'm not sure what his grandma is going to think of me when she sees me at her house. The last time we met was so rushed I can hardly remember it. 

Deep down I'm trying to convince myself that it's not a big deal but it's hard. It's very hard. 

When I parked across the street, I slowly made my way towards the gated mansion. A polite man opened the gates for me and I made my way up the front door. As soon as I knocked, Wilders opened up looking gorgeous as always. 

His hair looks damp as if he just got out of the shower. Suddenly I heard the clearing of a voice and that is when I realized that I had been staring too hard at him unknowingly. 

"Are we just going to stand here and play the staring challenge?" He asked but chuckled right after his remark. To hide my embarrassment, I slightly rolled my eyes and smiled a little. 

"Well maybe if you invited me in, then we wouldn't be having a 'staring challenge',"

" My bad, come on in…" He smiled and walked back in, allowing me access to go in as well. I quickly scanned the area and I'm not gonna lie but everything screamed a million dollars here. 

"You came right on time, we're just about to have dinner," Max said with a small smirk. At the other end of the hallway, I saw his grandma and younger sister walking out of what I'm assuming to be the kitchen. 

They both smiled at me and I returned a forced one. "Hello April, it's so nice to see you again… " The young girl spoke. 

" Hey there… " I paused since I never really got her name. 

" Oh the name's Jessy, I'm Max's sister."

" It's nice to meet you again Jessy." I pulled out my hand for a shake but she declined and caught me off guard with a bear hug. I was definitely surprised but I managed to hug her back. 

The elderly woman and Max just smiled at us until I couldn't breathe anymore. 

" Jessy let the lady breathe! " She finally let go and I was happy to breathe again. 

" Oh come on Nona, I'm just getting to know Max's girlfriend well… "

Okay, I'm very hot right now at the mention of a girlfriend. Did Max tell his family I'm his girlfriend? Why is Jessy saying I'm his girlfriend? What the hell is going on with my head?

" April don't listen to her… I'm Dora, their grandmother." I looked over at Max and he was obviously avoiding my eyes. He was definitely blushing. I gave Dora a quick hug before we headed to where the food was at. 

Max pulled out a chair for me and sat right next to me.  I smiled at him and returned my attention to Dora who was gracefully serving everyone a plate of what looked like Italian mashed potatoes. 

As we ate, Dora asked me a little about myself. "I'm almost in my final year at East View College taking afternoon classes. Because of this flexibility, I also work at the club at night." It was after the words left my tongue that I realized how the club part sounded. 

Immediately, Dora and Jessy looked up at me from their plates. 

" You work at a club? " Dora asked giving me a double take. 

" No, no. Nona she's not a stripper, she's a bartender at the club…" Max clarified cutting me off from speaking. 

"Oohh good, I get it. That's nice dear." Dora spoke finally smiling at me again. 

I gave an awkward smile and nodded. 

"Yeah…" 

"Wait a minute, are you perhaps Kimberly Lucas's super cool sister who works at BOTS?"

" Ooh, you know my sister Kim? " I was surprised. 

" Yeah, we're friends at school and she talks about you all the time. Literally, everyone knows about you."

" What? Everyone knows me?"

" Well, yeah verbally they do. "

" Well, uh that's nice I guess." Oh, so this was where Kim had come to when she said she was visiting Flush Hills. 

I found out a lot of things about Max and his family. Dora has of course shared embarrassing stories about Max's childhood and Jessy and I laughed the entire dinner. 

A/N
Please remember to leave a comment and ☑️ vote
Peace~