Chapter 42

Kim is finally in her senior year and honestly, things have become worse with her. She goes out and stays outside for days. I found out she still hangs out with the same boy that introduced her to smoking. I found weed in her things one time and I was shocked.

I kept it to myself and finally confronted her about it. She swore it wasn't hers and that she was only keeping it for her friend. I didn't believe her of course. So I burnt the substance. Kim has then been very arrogant with me. I had to talk to Mom about it since she became very disrespectful.

Kim also has cut all links with her friend Jessy, who is also Max's little sister. Of course, she knows Max and I are dating. I know this because the poor girl asked me if everything was okay with my sister. Jessy told me how Kim has been avoiding her and gives her attitude.

Mom paid a private therapist to help her but she has only attended for a week and stopped. No matter how much I scold her to go back she just refuses. This is what Mom and I have been dealing with. I know something is bothering her but we can only help if she confides in us. Mom is praying about the situation.

Today is Monday and after a rough day at work, I finally retired for the day. My cabin is very nice. I like that I have every piece of equipment at my disposal. Designing here is very convenient and comfortable for me.

On a regular day, Max closed at 8 pm. But since we had a date plan, we both got out at 4 pm. We made plans to eat out at a local Bostonian restaurant that was just opened a few days ago. I hadn't come in my car because Max had picked me up in the morning and would most certainly drive me back.

When we got to the restaurant, I again immediately gave them a ten. But I have to taste the food first to confirm that. The whole arrangement was very traditional and local. I liked how everything looked so simple and homey. There weren't any booths it was strictly traditional. Max and I ordered Clam Chowder and Lobster rolls.

"I like it, it almost tastes like the Lobster rolls Nana makes," Max spoke once he tasted his meal. I nodded in agreement once I got a taste as well.

"Yeah, it's delicious. I have to learn their recipe,"

"You definitely should, but we'll have you start at a catering school. We don't want the house burning down now do we."

I chuckled lightly as I rolled my eyes.

"Come on Max! You don't believe what my mom told you about my cooking do you?" Max chuckles again, this time with a little teasing.

"Well, for the most part, I do. Don't forget the tacos we were making together... " This time I blushed as I remembered the embarrassing moment. Max was laughing at his success in defeating me.

As we ate and made small talk in between, I got a phone call from my mom. "Hey Mom, what's up?" I answered and Max gave me a quick smile.

"April Kim has left again! We were arguing about why she refused to go to school today and she just Stormed out... she hasn't returned and she's not answering her phone."

"Mom, you have to calm down for me. Take a deep breath... go ahead." I waited until I heard her inhale and exhale.

"You know how Kim is, she'll come around, just give her some space. I'll be home shortly, take some rest, okay."

"Oh thank you, honey... I love you."

"I love you too Mom, don't stress yourself." I hung up and released a huge sigh. Max held my hand with a concerned expression. "What is it with Kim this time?"

"She ran off again! Max, I don't know what we're going to do with Kim anymore." I rubbed my forehead as I spoke.

"She'll get through it... we just have to give her time and be as patient as possible." I couldn't help but smile at how gentle Max was around me.

"Thank you, Max, you're too nice to me."

"I love you April, and I'll do anything for you. Always remember that." I smiled at that.

It has been five whole days since Kim left home. We contacted all her friends but none of them knew where she could be. Usually, when she ran off, she'd come back after the third day. But this is the first time she's not back after a week.

Mom is so worried and at this point, I'm more concerned about her health than Kim's whereabouts. She's not been eating and honestly, I'm worried about my mom.

If Kim feels she can just run off like that then she can definitelytake care of herself.

If I lose my mom because of this careless action, I'll never forgive her. Mark has been looking into this as well. After we managed to describe her boyfriend, Mark reported this to Kim's school and the school authority says the young boy hasn't been in school for a while.

More investigation was done and we found out that the young boy Shane apparently lives with his Uncle and has also been out of home for as long as Kim has been out.

The old man didn't seem very worried about his nephew missing, perhaps this was a normal thing for him.

Mark got a handful of Shane's friends and ran them through a series of questions but they all had no clue where both of them could be.

Josh and Jason don't know anything as well. I was thinking Jason could know something at first because Kim is closer to him than his twin. But he too knew nothing to none.

"Melissa you have to calm down, worrying is only going... "

"Calm down?! Mark, how am I supposed to be calm when my daughter is out there probably hurt or in some sort of trouble? Don't ask me to calm down Mark!!" Mom yelled and walked away leaving Mark and I seated in a heavy tension.

"She's just stressed, Mark...She doesn't mean..."

"Yeah, I know. I promise my team and I will find her safe without a scratch." He assured me with a hopeful smile.

"Hopefully." I nodded.

"I'm going to head back to work. Please take care of your mother April, we can't have her getting sick, it'll worsen the situation."

"Yeah, I'll try my best." Mark gave me a perk and a hug before he left. I decided to give Mom some space.

A/N
Isn't Mark so sweet?
Comment down below if you like Mark's personality.