Chapter 51

The next day came as soon as I closed my eyes and opened them. It's the big day. It's my graduation day. I never thought I could witness this day. When Dad died, I thought my dreams were shattered. But here I am graduating with my first degree. We were all out in a large auditorium while the families of everyone waited anxiously for the presentations.

At East View College, a couple of awards are often awarded to the best student of the year, the best student in departments, and the punctuality award amongst many others.

I was sweating profusely as the vice chancellor started with his boring speech. Miley was right beside me and from the expression on her face, I knew she couldn't wait to get this done with as well. After thirty minutes of hearing his speech, the vice Chancellor then gave the honor to the Dean to award his special students with high grades.

Honestly, It was weird that we were now receiving the Dean special awards. It's graduation for fucks sake. It's just delay tactics I'm telling you. Five names were mentioned and my name was on the list. I waited patiently until it was my turn to go up the stage for my presentation.

Once I climbed onto the stage, I heard a certain group of people yelling my name and clapping very wildly. It had to be my family and friends. Max had brought along Jessy and Nona(Dora).

They were all waving and clapping. Mom and Mark were sitting together while Kim and the boys sat in a straight line in front. Oh, I also spotted Desiree, Max's assistant. I smiled for the cameras and gave a quick wave to my over-excited family and friends.

The presentation lasted two hours. By the end of which I had gained the best student in my department and a few others I didn't pay too much attention to knowing what they were for. I'll probably look at every tag on the awards later.
Miley won Best Student of her department, which by the way took her by surprise. Despite my nerves, I still laughed at her confused expression when her name was mentioned.

It was finally time for our certificates to be handed over to us and I was more than happy. I just wanted to get it all done with. Miley and I watched anxiously as the degrees were handed out to the graduates. My surname was holding me back now since it has as presented alphabetically. While we waited, I received a text from Max.

An involuntary smile appeared on my face once I read it. 'What the hell are they holding you back for?' Rolling my eyes, I texted him back.

'I'm waiting for my turn to receive my degree' Instead of replying through text, he called.

"Max_what are you doing, I can't talk now," I whispered once I answered his call.

"But you can text? This is taking so long." Max complained.

"Don't worry another hour and we'll be out of here."

"Fine! Hey, you're rocking that mortar-board hat by the way" Max didn't have to see me to know that I was blushing.

"Stop blushing April,"

"I'm not even blushing Max, talk to you later, hang up now." I put my phone away to see Miley having an exciting conversation with her coursemates. Hakeem had invited his whole family to the graduation. Those people love Miley unconditionally because the love is just infectious. Miley didn't have one of the best childhood but she's managed to live through it.

After another half an hour, we were all outside throwing our hats in the air as loud cheers of congratulations were heard everywhere. A couple of times I had to pinch myself to be sure that I wasn't having a beautiful dream. I did it!
I made it! I'm finally seeing progress. I'm done with college bitches!

As everyone dispersed, I went to look for my family. "Honey, come here. I'm so proud of you."
Mom pulled me into a tight hug. "Thank you, mom." I hugged everyone until I reached Max who had a goofy grin on his handsome face.

"You made it." He said as he pulled me up in the air twirling me around.

"Yeah, I guess I made it." I laughed in excitement as he placed me back on my feet.

"I made a reservation_"

"April!!"

Miley's high-pitched voice interrupted Max from speaking, causing us to pull away. She had little Mikayla on her hip as she approached us with her parents behind her.

"Hi Mr Tim, Mrs Alex. It's nice to see you." It still feels awkward that Miley's parents are divorced. Even though it's been so long, I'm still finding it weird to say their new names.

"Oh April, I'm so proud of you."

"Thanks, Mrs Alex."

"Congratulations April, you know I've always believed in you." Mr Tim spoke with a proud smile on his wrinkled face. I gave a polite smile and they proceeded to say hi to the rest of my family.

"Come here, you big girl," I said pulling Mikayla from Miley. As if she understood what I said, Mikayla showed me a toothless smile and it just melted my heart.

"So we're finally done huh?" Miley asked sounding like she couldn't believe it.

"Yep, I got that feeling too but hell yeah baby. We got a degree." I said as I played with Mikayla.

"Girl I'm so hyped right now, no more sucking up boring lectures and more time to make money!" I added.

"That's what I'm talking about. And more time to party and have fun."

"Uh huh, no girl! You're a parent now Miley. No partying"

"Cut the crab April, what am I forty years old? Come on, I'm gonna be a cool mom. And even if I'm forty, I'll probably take Mikayla to the club with me..." I was shaking with laughter by the time Miley finished her mini ramble. Hakeem had been listening to her all along.

"I don't think I would allow you to take our probably 17-year-old daughter to a club_"

"What are you? From the the 80s?" She glared at her baby daddy and I took that as my cue to excuse them to argue about being cool parents. I spotted Max and Desiree having a really funny conversation so I walked up to them. "Hey," I called to gain their attention. Max quickly gave me a quick perk on my lips.

"Congratulations April," Desiree said with a warm smile. "Thank you, Desiree."

"So I was thinking, how about we escape for a while? You and me, somewhere quiet. You know quality time..." A fat grin spread on my lips as Max said this. "Yes, sure I'd like that." Max smiled as well before turning to his PA.
"Desiree don't forget the presentations due Monday and I think you're free for the day."

"Thank you, sir."

A/N
Enjoy people!!