Chapter 48

"You have to get him in his act on camera," I said to AJ who looked at me like I had grown an extra head. "April, how on earth am I going to do that? He's a smart ass, he'll find out before I can even execute." She said with frustration.

"I know how cunning he can be, but that's the good part. We just have to get smarter. If you don't agree with this then I guess there's nothing much to be done. Mark says he can only help if you have evidence." I had called AJ over at Mom's bakery. So we are currently eating cupcakes. AJ barely touched hers. She was scared and I saw it in her eye.

Of course, I knew any wrong move could have her paying severely but she had to make an effort to fix things. Right? Yes, that's what I thought.

"Listen AJ I know this is hard but you have to get rid of the fear if you want to be free," I said with an exhausted sigh.

"Yeah, I know I'm sorry. I'll work on it. And yes I want things fixed. I do." She sobbed. Causing me to look away from her.

AJ had explained how the manipulative calls always occur. On a random day, Mr Coleman would just give her a call with a private number and ask her to meet her at a certain location. According to her narration, it's always a new number and location. She hadn't visited the same place twice. No doubt, the Dog is indeed very smart.

After AJ Finally got her acts together, I took her to Mark and in less than a week Mark had a master plan. He had arranged a tiny camera in AJ Lens Glasses. He asked her to wear it whenever Mr Coleman called her. That would be the only way to reveal him. AJ had left after Mark installed the camera and I just hung around the busy bakery before I went over to Max's.

The Grand launch of his novel is in a few days and honestly, I was a bit nervous about it. There will be a lot of famous people all around and outside Boston to New York. I'm finally able to handle the paparazzi but the red carpet remains new to me. But I'm hoping to be able to fit in perfectly.

"Hey, April!" Jessy greeted me once she saw my presence in their lounge. I still get lost in this mansion regardless of the number of times I've been here.

"Hi Jessy, how are you doing?" I gave her a polite smile, but she pulled me into a bear hug instead.

"I'm good. Max is in his study room." She informed after pulling away. "Oh okay. But what about Dora?" I asked.

"She went to get groceries." She spoke as she averted her attention back to the TV show she was watching. "Alright, I'll catch you later Jessy," I said as I made my way towards Max's study room. I smiled a little at the surprise I had brought for Max, he loves Mom's pies so much so I picked a few to surprise him.

When I reached the door, I knocked and waited to be asked to go in but instead, an angry voice yelled back causing me to frown.

"I thought I made it clear that I don't want to be bothered!" I rolled my eyes and pushed the door open regardless. Once I was inside, Max's angry expression quickly softened.

"I'm not leaving, if that's what you think," I said as I placed the bag of pies on his table.

"Sorry, I didn't know it was you. You know you can never be a bother." He said standing up from his desk and placing a soft kiss against my lips.

"Oh really?" I asked playfully, curling my arms around his neck.

"Yeah. What have you got there?" He asked nodding towards the box of pies on the table.

"Mom's all-time super crispy sugar pies_ I thought you might use some."

"You're so sweet, thank you I'm using some." We later ended up cuddling up in Max's private lounge watching Netflix while Max ate his pies. The entire time we were at it, I noticed Max was a bit off so I asked.

"Hey, are you sure you're okay? I know you Max and I can tell if something is off." I said.

"I'm sorry you noticed I thought I was doing a good job hiding it."

"Meh, you're really bad at it," I said, causing him to chuckle.

"I lost a huge sales contract and today hasn't been good, well, until you showed up." He spoke calmly, staring into my eyes.

"I'm sorry you had a bad day," I said.

"Why are you apologizing? It's not your fault that my employees are so dumb and incompetent. I mean, I was only gone for one week and they allowed a huge deal to slip away just like that."

"Max, calm down. You should know this already but I'll still remind you, it's okay to run losses sometimes. That's business, but it only happens so that you plan and target better."

"You're right. I'm overreacting,"

"Okay, enough about that. Brightening the mood, I designed a gown for Thursday. You know since there'll be so many celebrities at the launch..."

"April, you'll be fine! It's nothing. You can wear anything at all and you'll still rock it. Don't stress yourself so much."

"Are you sure about that? Cause I don't want to be on the papers the next day with people asking if you decided to make your PA your escort." I said, causing him to laugh.

"I'm telling Desiree you said that." He chuckled.

"But seriously though, you're good."

"I love you, Max," I said looking into those eyes that never fail to weaken my knees.

"I love you more April." He replied.

"But I loved you first."

Thursday flew by fast. Max insisted on hiring a whole makeup artist and stylist for me. I was really overwhelmed by the gesture. I won't lie. Is this what living lavishly is?

Desiree was here to help me and she kept telling me to relax.

"You've got this. Relax girl."

"I hope so," I whispered as I looked at my reflection in the mirror. I looked so different, probably because I hadn't worn so much makeup on my face before. My hair was styled elegantly and my gown was on point. Because I designed it myself.

It was a navy blue gown with tiny sleeves. Max picked me up twenty minutes later. Upon arriving at the venue the paparazzi went crazy once we stepped out of the car.

A/N
Thank you for your continued love and support. It means a lot to me.
✌️🏾 peace.