Chapter 20

Later on in the day, there was dinner at our house. It was just Mark and the boys and well, us.

I considered it mom's way of introducing Mark to us.

"So, Mark?" I called gaining his attention.

"Yes?"

"What do you do?" I asked.

"I'm a cop. I've been in service for twenty years today."

"Wow, that's so cool." Kim blurted into our conversation gaining a few stares from the twins whose names I learnt to be Jason and Josh. I'm not even gonna lie, there's no way in hell I can make them up.

They look just like each other.

"You think that's cool!" One of the boys asked with a snort.

"That's because she doesn't know how hard it is to always go by the rules and laws." Said the other twin. 

"Oh come on guys how bad can this be? I think it's cool."

"Now that's a good thought Kim, don't listen to their nonsense," Mark said giving the boys a hard glare.

The rest of dinner consisted of eating the mouth-watering paster and getting to know each other until mom and Mark started talking about the kind of furniture for the bakery.

The conversation became so boring that I too, just like the kids, also slipped upstairs.

November 17th. The Snow had intensified and the Christmas spirits could be felt in the air completely. I had just got off lectures and the time read exactly 7:30 pm. I hate it when during winter, you'd have to pick off large snow blocks from your car before you can drive it.

After successfully getting all the ice off, I drove off downtown.  Mom had started baking after the launch and it's been good so far.

The number of people who stopped by daily was impressive. The people had indeed missed mom's cookies.

The festive season did wonders for the market causing daily sales of $1,000.
That's right, mom was doing great.

Kim usually helps her out after school and on the weekends.
Mom did mention she's looking forward to hiring workers latest by January next year. Things have been falling into place lately and I liked it.

Immediately after I got home, I started getting ready for work. Bots have been getting busier. Christmas is fast approaching and many millionaires are getting days off from work.

Wayne decided we start work at 8:00 pm instead of the usual hour. I was cool with it alright, but way cooler on the weekends.
Because on the weekend, I have no lectures which give me more freedom.

The mention of lectures has my heart lurching each time I remember that Miley has still been ignoring me. It's as if we don't even know each other anymore. 

Hakeem drives her to lectures every day and comes to get her after. Honestly, I felt jealous. Liam hadn't made it to the lunch at the bakery but he came home a week later. With that too, he stayed for only two nights.

I sometimes get a strong urge to confront him about the accusations but struggle against it. This time around, I made up my mind to just woman up and ask him. I'd rather get that urge over with than walk around feeling this empty.

The beauty of Boston is best noticed during the festive season. East Boston was fireworks during this time. Christmas trees are everywhere. Shining lights all around the neighbourhood. No lie, I'm proud of my birth land.

After I parked my car at my usual spot, I got inside the club and was immediately met with the scent of liquor. I was also embraced by the warmth of the million-dollar heater and the sweaty bodies of young adults.

I quickly changed into my uniform and began work. Lauren wasn't behind the counter when I arrived. I'm sure she's serving a VIP client at the other end.

I got to work quickly attending to all the clients.

"Hey, April." I turned around to the voice and realized it was Lauren. She looked flushed and way too happy than usual.

"Well, you look happy," I stated as I added ice cubes into the mixing cup.

"Wayne told me I look beautiful." She stated with a loud squeal. I smiled back at her.

"Well, that's a step."

"It sure is, I feel all tingly inside my stomach." She admitted.

"I'm happy for you, but you should get to work."

"Right, on it."

The night had only begun. Wayne made a cute fireplace at the main arena and it just gave BOTS that Christmas touch.

At exactly 11:00 pm, I spotted Maxwell Wilders walking into the arena. As if he felt my eyes on him, he quickly looked my way and our eyes met. I mentally groaned once he started advancing towards my side.

"Good evening April," He greeted. 

"Hello sir, what can I get you?" I tried to be as professional as possible, don't wanna risk getting less formal.

"Just a bear, don't wanna risk history repeating itself."

"Right away." I quickly got the latest bottled beer we had in stock and added some cubes to it.

Afterwards, I poured it into one of our single-order glasses and pushed it in front of him.

"Thirty-five bucks," I said plainly as I counted my tabs to check if it summed up to the tables around. I tried not to pay attention to Wilders and I was doing a great job.

"I heard about your mom's bakery, honestly she makes the best cookies ever." I pretended like I didn't hear and just continue to do my work. I was trying everything possible to ignore him but he seems to not get the message.

"My grandma ordered so many of them..."

"Look Wilders, I'm not looking forward to being your friend or acquaintance. Stop trying." I said flatly causing Lauren to look at me.

All this while, she had been listening silently.

"I've noticed your disinterest, it's just that I'm not one to give up easily."

I rolled my eyes at that.

"My latest book, 'The New Beginning talks more on perseverance. You can get it on Amazon."

"I don't care what your books say, you can go to hell Wilders." This man is causing me to break the customer bond.

Just at the time, someone came up to order a drink cutting Wilders from retaliating.

"My drama team came up with a new play, premiering next month. We're still looking for the right person to hand over the contract for the costumes for the whole play. And, a little bird told me that you're a final-year fashion student. I was hoping that just maybe, you might want to do your internship at my..."

"Don't you fucken get it?! I don't want to have anything to do with you! And I don't know how you find out stuff about me, but stop"

How dare he spy on me, it's unacceptable.

This just increases my hatred for him.

"The offer still stands for when you feel like you need it," Wilders said placing a $50 bill on the counter.

I took the money and checked to give him his balance but the arrogant hook had already walked away.

Idiot!

"April are you insane? Didn't you see that the fucking millionaire was hitting on you!?" Lauren said after Wilders back disappeared.

"Can you hear yourself? Lauren people like him don't like people like me, it's how it works. The rich always remain rich while the poor remain poor! You think he'll ruin his reputation for someone  like me?"

"And besides, I have a boyfriend..."

"Girl, you have to change the way you think."

"whatever Lauren!!" Life is not fair, I've learned the hard way of it.

A/N
✌️ peace y'all