17: It's a first

Your vision slowly went dark, blinded by wrath.

The Slitherbeast tried to attack you but a dome of yellow aura shielded you.

'Kill it.' You hear a whisper.

'n-no I-'

'Don't you want revenge?' The voice hissed.

You look at Hunter once more. 'I do.'

Your eyes glow and purple flames engulfed your hands but they didn't burn. You flung fireballs at the beast. One after the other.

You can't stop. It felt bad and good at the same time. The monster was slowly starting to withdraw yet you still kept pursuing the creature.

But then you hear a soft voice. "Y/N?!"

"H-huh?" You snap back into reality.

It was Hunter.

"Hunter?" You whimpered. Your eyes stopped glowing and the flames in your hands vanished. Once you stopped attacking the Slitherbeast, it ran away.

You run to Hunter as fast as you can. The wind carried the droplets of tears from your eyes. You hugged him tight as he lay in the snow.

"Did you do magic just n- Ow! That's tight." He flinched.

"Oh sorry." You let go, feeling slightly embarrassed.

"Just a while ago I thought you couldn't stand me." He gave you a smug look.

So you smack that smug look off his face.

"Ow! what was that for?!" Hunter complained.

"Idiot! You could've been killed!" You yell.

"Pfft...whaaat nooo... Ok, maybe I acted rash. But I didn't expect that thing to actually hit me." He claimed.

You look at him for a moment and saw that he was injured. He had quite a number of wounds on his arms and torso.

"You're hurt. I-I don't have my potions with me." You started to tear up again.

"It's fine." He said, trying to hide his injuries. "I'll get myself patched up at the coven." He stated in a tight voice. He was quite in pain. "Just stop crying please."

"Y-You're so stupid. i- I hate you for saving me. *hic* You hit him weakly on the arm.

"Am I not injured enough?" He joked, trying to lighten up your mood.

"i- I... *hic* I'm sorry. This is all my fault. The Slitherbeast wouldn't' have attacked if I just-" You tried choking back your tears.

Hunter frowned. He felt terrible seeing you cry.

"Hey I'm the one who's supposed to protect us. But I failed."

"If I wasn't so weak without my staff none of this... would've happened." He covered his face with both hands, feeling disappointed in himself.

"What are you talking about?" You asked.

"I... I'm a powerless witch. I can't do any magic without my staff. Despite this, Belos took me in and gave me a staff with artificial magic. Without it well... I'm nothing." His voice toned down as his face shifted away from you. He felt so shameful that he can't look at you directly.

"You've seen it yourself." His ears turned slightly red.

You gave him another hug. A more gentle one this time. Hunter was surprised and didn't know what to do. But eventually he slowly wrapped his arms around you and hugged you back.

"Please don't say that. You're more than just your abilities. Y-you're valuable." You stuttered.

"Oh yeah? How? It's not like I can be the golden guard without any magic." He sadly admitted.