35: Any Sport in a Storm: Part I

┍━━☽【❖】☾━━┑

A siren sings in the dead of night. Lamenting under the moonlight.

~

~🎶 Lost spirits, I sing to thee,
Heed my woes and set me free,
Please hear my heart's desire,
consume my foes with fire. 🎵~

┕━━☽【❖】☾━━┙

"You see that kid?" Eda asked with a pleased smirk. She lifted the branches out of the way for a better view of the target.

From behind a barricade of thick shrubs you take a peak and see a creature in the middle of a small clearing surrounded by forest trees.

It was a worm-like creature with bright orange fur covering its whole body.

Size wise, it was huge for a worm. It had about the diameter of an average car tire. If it were stretched vertically, its length would approximately be three and a half Edas stacked on top of each other.

On top of that was a pair of googly eyes that sat on the sides of its head, intimidating all that gaze upon them.

"Yep, I see it." You cringed.

"And when I thought I've seen all of the Isles' weirdness." You mumbled.

"That gorgeous bounty is worth ten thousand snails." Eda said enthusiastically.

"It's been terrorizing the frog people for weeks and now it's coming after witches too."

"I don't know... it looks harmless." You squint at the creature.

"You won't be saying that once you've been wormified." She warned.

"Wormiwhat?!" You were puzzled.

You skipped school for the day. You insisted on helping Eda on a bounty hunt. It was a chance to try out your skill set and have some wholesome bonding time with Eda, your mom.

Eda kneeled down to meet your eyes. "Ok, just stick to the plan and we'll catch that beast in a jiffy." She whispered.

"Ayay ma'am." You obediently saluted.

"Wait... but we don't have a-"

Before you could finish, Eda already started running towards the creature while screaming.

"-plan..." You exasperated.

"Mom, wait up!" You shouted while you tried to catch up.

Eda transformed into her Owl Harpy form and flexed her sharp talons.

"Ok, beast. Now, come to momma peacefully. That way no one gets hurt." Eda negotiated.

The worm turns its head to face Eda. Its orange fur puffed up as it hissed at her aggressively.

"Two can play at that game." Eda hissed back and charged at the creature.

As Eda was about to attack, the creature burrowed into the ground out of sight.

"Wha-?" Eda looked around in confusion when the worm suddenly sprung out of the soil behind her.

She crossed her arms to block the upcoming attack and braced herself for impact, shutting her eyes tight.

When she opened them, you had already conjured a shield to protect her from the blow.

You smiled at her with your musical instrument on hand, a bard ready for battle. Your palisman was sitting at its edge, providing some sort of stability to your bard magic.