20: The Four Stages of Grief

"No no no no no it can't be." Hunter paced back and forth in his room, rambling about all the possibilities why you failed to meet up with him.

It was a quiet day in the Emperor's coven. Everybody was busy with their own thing, preparing for something big. However, Hunter couldn't care less because he had more "important" matters to deal with.

"There has to be another reason she didn't go. The weather was bad or maybe she had the common mold. Who knows? Right Steve?"

"I am sorry to interrupt sir but could you please untie me first?" Steve pleaded, being tied to a chair.

Hunter may or may not have kidnapped the poor scout to ask them for advice.

"Oh right! Sorry about that." Hunter quickly untied the guard.

"Alright... So Steve, I'm sure you have some experience with people outside the castle." Hunter conversed with the guard casually, completely ignoring the fact that he dragged them in his room against their will.

"Ah yes. I have a loving partner and three cat children." Steve responded.

"Great!" Hunter cheered.

"So tell me, did I do something wrong?"

"All I wanted was for her to be safe here with me- I mean... in the Emperor's coven." He cleared his throat.

"What did you do exactly sir?" Steve asked.

"While I kinda just told her that if she didn't accept my offer, we'll no longer be friends. Just a harmless threat between pals." He shrugged.

"Sir do you accept constructive criticism?" Steve faltered, afraid to lose their job if they ever tick off their angry blonde superior.

"Go on." Hunter sighed.

"I believe that you may have chosen the wrong method of persuading her." Steve explained.

"And uh..." They hesitated at first. "I think she's angry with you."

"Wha- What?! Why would she be angry?!" Hunter bellowed.

.  .  .

"Why wouldn't I be angry?!" You shouted, shoving a spoonful of ice cream in your mouth.

"He told me that he would respect my decision and now he's making me choose between my freedom and his stupid cult?!" You ranted.

You were sitting on the couch inside the Owl House, venting your heart out to Hooty.

"Ghurl, you have all the right to be angry hoot!" Hooty assured.

"I know right?! I mean, he told me we'd stay friends under the starry night sky."

"And the other time, he even held my hand. It was f@*$king beautiful!" You yelled.

"Language!" Eda scolded.

"Only I get to swear in this house." She asserted.

"Oop, sorry Eda. I'm just so... upset." You grunted.

"What are you upset about?" Eda raised an eyebrow.

"She just broke up with her boyfriend!" Hooty intervened.

"Hooty I already told you he's not my boyfriend!" You denied.

"Your story says otherwise, sister." He sassed.

"Well whatever this dweeb is to you, you shouldn't waste your time sulking about him." Eda lectured

"Trust me, I had my fair share of exes and they are not worth your energy." She shrugged.