40: Catching Fire

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

~🎶 Lost spirits, I sing to thee,

Heed my woes and set me free,

Please hear my heart's desire,

consume my foes with fire. 🎵~

You sang the spell beautifully as your heart blazed just as much as the burning building in front of you.

The spell set the warehouse up in flames along with the Emperor's weapons that it contained.

The fire reflected in your eyes as you gazed at it with no remorse. It seemed like you had grown numb to the guilt. After all, it's not the first time you've done this. All you ever felt was the sting in your darkened hands, corrupted by forbidden wild magic and perhaps, satisfaction.

"In the name of the Emperor, I demand you to surrender." A stern voice ordered.

You turn your back on the fire and see the very Head Witch of the Bard coven. Normally, you wouldn't be so scared of them but they don't know you, not anymore. Even without the hood that draped over your figure, they wouldn't remember you. Not after the day they were captured.

You tried to run the other way only to be cornered by a huge abomination soldier that towered over your head.

"I see our little Nightingale is trying to escape." A cloaked man spoke with his deep and confident voice whilst he raised his arm, seemingly manipulating the abomination soldier.

"Let's make this easy. Try not to run and there won't be any additional problems." He negotiated.

You started to panic. You stood no chance against two coven heads. But it was either get arrested or lose a limb or two.

'Screw it!' You made the run for it.

You ran and ran, like your life depended on it because, in reality, it did.

The coven head chased after you. A blast of red hue passes dangerously near your head, and instead hits a wall, leaving a scorch mark. You feel a heavy drop of sweat fall from your brow thinking how close you were to becoming rotisserie chicken.

You make a sharp turn to a dark alleyway in an attempt to lose them. You ran and weaved through the tight alleys framed by the back walls of the homes of unassuming citizens.

The more you ran, the deeper into town you got.

The sound of clicking heels and pattering boots disappeared. You stopped running.

But it's quiet. Too quiet.

You hear a whoosh.

Something fast. Something quick is approaching.

You keep your guard up, anxiously turning your head left, right, and back.

Whoosh, there it was again.

Your heart was pounding in your chest as cold sweat moistened your hands.

It stopped.

WHOOSH, a gush of air swept your hooded cloak to the side. You close your eyes as dust was blown at you

You open your eyes at the sight of a rat-worm snarling at your face.

"AHHH!" You run for it, stumbling slightly in the process.

"Titan damn it!" You barked, blocked by a tall wall. A dead end.

You look behind you, the rat-worm and its rider closing in. You're cornered. The beast finally caught up to you, causing you to back up against the wall. You feel its breath against your cold skin.