o n e

Tuesday 3rd February 2024

Lucia Quinn

Walking into the Red Bull headquarters for the first time for the 2024 season, I was about to head towards the engineers when Christian Horner stopped me "Morning Lucia, I just need to speak to you in my office quickly, nothing bad I promise" He guided me in his direction "Morning Christian, of course lead the way" I smiled, following him through the hallways to his office.

"Sit" he demanded as he shut the office door. Doing as he said I sat in the chair on the other side of his desk "Now I've asked you here as I've got a promotion for you" He smiled and my eyes lit up "Really! Thank you!" I sat up straighter "Due to unforeseen circumstances, Max's racing engineer has had to stop his job here at Red Bull racing because of family reasons. How would you like to replace him and be Max's new racing engineer?" Christian lent on the desk with his fingers linked together "I-I would love to" I stumbled on my words as I was so excited "Perfect, I'll have your new contract delivered to your new desk by the end of the day. I presume you know where your new office is? Yes?" Christian asked "Yep. Straight down the hall to the left" I nodded back "You got it. I'll have Mary bring it to you when it's completed" Christian said as I walked out the door.

Getting to my new office I sat down and took it in. I'm Max Verstappen's new racing engineer. Thinking back to my 9 year old self, she would be proud of me.

I always told my dad I was going to be the person that talks to the driver over the radio and here I am 15 years later sitting in my own office at Red Bull Racing, with my name on the door about to start my first season as a racing engineer.

"I'm hearing you're my new racing engineer?" Max knocked on my open door "You are correct Mr Verstappen".

I met max when I did a summer internship at 17 whilst I was still in Sixth Form, he hasn't stopped annoying me since.

"I'm happy for you Cia, have you told your dad yet?" He asked sitting in the seat on the other side of my desk "Nope, I need to though. I'll do it on my lunch break" I smiled "Do it now!" He demanded but was also smiling at me so it didn't have the effect he desired.

"I can't I have a meeting in 5 minutes, and so do you" I shut my laptop and picked up my phone to check the time "Okay fine, before we leave let me get a picture of you at your new desk on your first day" Max stood up and taking his phone out to take a picture. Rolling my eyes, I laughed and put my arms up and posed with a big smile "Perfect" Max smiled "Alright Casanova, let's get to the meeting before you make us late" I teased as I knew he hated the nickname, even though after he broke up with his last girlfriend a couple years ago the nickname has been more appropriate than ever "Yeah yeah whatever Liefde, let's go" He put his hands in his front pocket and waited for me to stand up and walk over to him "What does that even mean?" I questioned as he's been calling me that for years and I can never spell it right when I look up what it means "Don't worry about it" He grinned as we walked to the meeting.

Liefde - Dutch for love.

Sitting in the engineering meeting everyone congratulated me on my new position and then we got on with the new data we collected from the wind tunnels and simulator, also strategies for each race of the first half of the new season.

===

"Great meeting guys, let's hope the rest of this season go's this smoothly" Conner our head engineer joked as we all left "Bye guys" I smiled and picked up my phone and made my way back to my office.