f i f t y - f i v e

Thursday 23rd November 2024
Lucia Quinn

Pushing my pride aside, I knocked on Max's hotel room's door. All dolled up for the team's final dinner together for the 2024 season, and where I'm going to announce my departure from the team.

After speaking to Christian about my decision earlier on in the day at the track, he finally agreed to let me go after numerous attempts to keep me which ranged from a higher pay check or become head Racing Engineer. Whilst I appreciated the offers I declined them as although I loved my job and the team at Red Bull Racing, I had to put myself first.

"L-Lucia" Max stammered as he opened the door, dressed in a slim pair of suit trousers that were a navy and a shirt that he had rolled so the cuffs sat at his forearms "Hey" I politely smiled "I-I was wondering if you wanted to go to the drivers dinner together?" I ask "Yes, absolutely" Max nodded and shut the door after him.

"I have something to tell you and I felt you deserved to know before the rest of the team" I rushed my sentence as we got into the taxi "Okay" Max sat up straighter "I'm leaving Red Bull Racing after this season. I'm going to McLaren to become Lando's Racing Engineer" I couldn't even look at Max "What?" He breathed "Lucia no, please. You're my Racing Engineer" He picked up my hand that I had rested on my knee "I know. I just" I stopped mid sentence to think how to word the next part "I had to put myself first. Look at how we've ended up and it's only been one season. I-I can't do that to us, or at least what's left of us" I squeezed the hand he had desperately clutched onto mine to hopefully try and provide some type of reassurance "B-but I wanted you to know whatever problems we have right now, aren't a thing this weekend ok? As your Racing Engineer i know that you need no distractions and I'm here for whatever support you need. You can count on me this weekend" I tried to pair the words coming out my mouth with a smile "Cia please. I-I can't lose you" Max begged as he brought my hand up to his mouth and planted a kiss on the back "I'm sorry Max" My voice broke "Please understand" I begged him as I couldn't take anymore of his disappointment.

As the rest of the drive to the restaurant was silent, Max and I both looked out our own windows however our hands stayed linked in the middle of us, every once and again one of us squeezed each others hand.

===

Sitting at the opposite side of the table to Max as the girls had saved me a seat with them, I could feel his eyes on me the whole time.

Clinking my class with a knife after everyone had finished their desserts, I decided it was time. "Hey everyone" I stood up and gained everyone's attention "I have something to tell you all" My voice croaked and I took a deep breath in "Uhm, after this season I won't be continuing my role as Max's Racing Engineer. I'm moving over to McLaren and becoming Lando's Racing Engineer" I but the bullet and decided to go straight to the point. Feeling the anxiety rise up my throat as no one said a word they all stared at me in disbelief "Oh Lucia" Mary chimed as she stood up next to me and pulled me in for a big hug then so did the rest of the girls.

"Uhm" Max cleared his throat which made the girls release me and everyone turn to him "I just wanted to say, Lucia thank you from the bottom of my heart for taking on the role as my racing engineer. I couldn't have been more lucky. Everyone here at Red Bull is going to miss you, and myself is going to miss you immensely. Too whoever my Racing Engineer is next season, you won't ever compare to Lucia." Max raised a glass in my direction "Cheers to you Cia" He then smiled and everyone cheers for me and they clinched their glasses "Thank you" I mouthed and he shot me a playful wink.

After everyone had done their rounds and wished me a fair well, I decided to leave early, because as much as I wanted to soak in the my last Red Bull Racing dinner, I had a full day at track tomorrow and then a Racing Engineer dinner in the evening like we had at the beginning of the season.

👤 luciaquinn

•.

.•

Liked by maxverstappen1, f1 and 54,932 others
luciaquinn Family dinner @redbullracing 💙

View all 2,937 comments

__