s i x t y

Tuesday 28th November 2024
Lucia Quinn

9am.
Shit, I'm late.
Rushing out the bed and heading straight to the shower to wash off the day before, I took a deep breath in and out.

Yesterday Max and I went to lunch, he acted like nothing had happened but as soon as I brought it up, I was the villain in our story and he was the victim.

Deciding to leave it for the rest of the day, but it still played on my mind. He wouldn't even listen to me. We came back to the hotel room and luckily he had a PT session and I had work to do so I didn't see him till we went out for a team dinner in the hotel restaurant.

Turning off the shower, I grabbed the towel that was on the side and made my way back into my room to get the clothes I was going to wear on the plane home. Although Max wanted me to fly back with him tomorrow, I stood my ground and said no as I was already flying back with Ezralia and Isabel today on Ezra's jet. 

"I'm going Max" I said as I wheeled my suitcase into the living room "mhmm" He grumbled as he stood waiting with his arms folded "Are you sure you can't come with me?" Max then asked "I'm sure" I replied "I'll come see you when I land" Max pulled me in for a hug "Oh no, don't worry. I'll see you at the ceremony on Friday" I pulled out his embrace "What why?" Max questioned "Because Max" I half smiled "No-" He began to protest "I'll see you Friday" I cut him off, we can't get that close again this quick. "Safe flight sweetheart" Max kissed my temple and I then walked out the door to the lobby where the girls were waiting.

Wednesday 29th November 2024

Pulling up the the Red Bull Racing head quarters in Milton Keynes for the last time. "Good Morning Miss Quinn" Roger, the security, smiled "Hey Roger" I smiled back and then the gate opened, allowing me entry. 

"Hey Mary" I smiled as I walked into the entrance "Hey my love" She smiled sweetly "Christian is waiting for you in his office" She said "Perfect, thank you" I replied and walked up the stairs to the second floor where the corporate offices are.

"Ah Lucia. Please sit" Christian beamed and I then sat down in the seat on the other side of his desk "Now are you sure there is nothing we can do from stopping you from leaving?" He teased "No, but thank you" I laughed "Now, is tomorrow ok with you for announcing your departure?" He asked "Yeah. Uhm that fine. But can I post first?" I replied "Yeah of course, you are free to post whatever you want whenever you want tomorrow and we'll get our media team to keep and eye out for the post and then we will" Christian nodded "And we a little birdie told me that next season will be Mason's last season in Formula One" Christian leaned onto his desk "Wh-what? Mason? Like our Mason?" I questioned "Yep, and he made a specific request for us to personally ask you if you'd want it. And it's your up until the last race of the season next year" Christian continued and I couldn't believe what I was hearing "I- wow!" I looked at Christian and he nodded "And I can assure you Lucia. Everyone would love for you to take over Mason's place" He said "But head racing engineer? That's a lot" I replied "Yes but when you took over at the weekend everyone was impressed by you and loved the way you worked. Mason was impressed too" Christian smiled "Well, thank you. I will keep it in mind. But can you not mention it to Max?" I asked, not needing Max pressuring me to say yes "Yeah of course. Remember you don't have to make a decision till November next season" Christian reminded me "Thank you" I nodded "Now come on, let's go grab some of those box's from your office" He then stood up and I followed him to my office that was a couple doors down.

Standing in my office, that barely looked like it was ever mine as everything was now crammed into my car, I took a deep breath in and shut my eyes. Thankful was all I felt, thankful Red Bull gave me this opportunity and it was weird to think I wasn't going to be apart of this team anymore.

Disturbing my thoughts, the sound of my phone ringing brought me back to reality. Pulling my phone out my handbag I looked at the name and Mason English lit up my phone screen.

"Hello" I smiled, and looked out at the view from my office
"Good Morning Lucia. Has Horner told you about the offer yet?" Mason asked
"Yes, he has"
"And... are you going to stay?"
"You know I can't just leave McLaren like that. And plus he gave me a whole season to decided"
"Come on Lucia. The team won't work as well without you"
"I'm sure you will cope. You know I'm only a phone call away"
"Yeah, yeah. I guess I'll only see you in passing in the paddock" Mason mockingly sighed
"Oh no poor you. But seriously, this is your last season?"
"I know, it was a tough decision but my wife and I thought it was time to start travelling the world together. I'm 64 now Cia, I need to start spending more time with my family"
"I understand Mason. Make your last season count yeah?"
"Of course I will. It would be better if you were apart of my team"
"Are you trying to guilt trip me there English?"
"Did it work?"
"No. Not at all" I giggle
"Well shit, that was my last try to get you to stay"
"I'll miss you too Mason"
"Don't go all soppy on my now Quinn"
"Never" I wiped a single tear that had escaped my eye
"Right well I'll leave you to whatever you were doing, I'll see you at the Championship Ceremony"
"Yeah see you then"
"Bye Cia"
"Bye Mason" I hung up the phone and then, in defeat, tossed it into my open bag that was sitting on my empty desk.