37: The Unexpected Guest

"So many stairs." He gasps. He sets the bags down before looking up at me. An array of coughing noises burst out of him and I grow even more embarrassed about what I'm wearing. Not knowing how to handle his outburst, I quickly dismiss myself to go change.

"Why didn't you take the elevator? You're a mess." I hear Tae scold him from upstairs. I cheekily smile thinking about the way Jungkook reacted. Although I want to take any chance I can to see him, I'm nervous about him being here. I also can't forget about how he treated me the other night. His words really hurt me. I know he was just saying it to make himself believe it but I wonder if he even thought of how it made me feel, after how far we've come. I really do wonder why he's here after everything he said just last night. I quickly change into an all black sweats set and head back down. I watch them on the couch as I make my way down the stairs. You think I'd be used to being friends with them but every once in awhile it'll pop into my head that they are the biggest pop stars in the world... and they're sitting on my couch in my miniature apartment bringing me takeout food. I'm so happy I met them... even the one that's breaking my heart.

I head straight to the kitchen to bring out plates for us all. We dig in while chattering meaninglessly. My dinner time was filled with laughter, avoided eye contact and an odd sense of peace. After we finish, I collect the dishes while Yoongi picks a show to watch. It's already so late but I can tell that they don't want to sleep. I bet it's nice for them to have a familiar place to go away from home and I'm really happy I'm able to provide that for them. As I wash the plates off I feel a presence approach me. I continue without looking up as he grabs a rag and begins drying off the washed dishes.

"How are you?" Jungkook starts off.

"Why are you here?" I continue to stare down. Just yesterday, he was scoffing at me telling me that I was stupid to ever think we could be more than friends while I practically begged for him to try and now he has the nerve to show up at my house and ask this?

"Do you not want me here?" He mutters.

"After yesterday, not really." I say somewhat honestly.

"I just thought we could still be friends." He speaks so quite I can barely hear him. This time I'm the one scoffing.

"Jesus, at least give it 24 hours." I put the plates down and turn to him. The sound of the 3 others chattering in the other room reassures me. "I understand you might be able to switch from whatever we had to just friends in the blink of an eye, but in a way, I feel like I just got broken up with so it's a little weird for me to have you around like this." I speak quickly.

"I didn't-"

"But soon enough," I cut him off, "the feelings will go away and we can carry on with our professional friendship." I breathe.

"Do you want me to leave?" Is all he says. His face is almost blank but his eyes are narrow.

"Didn't you drive with them?" I ask. He nods.

"It's fine, we're all here now so let's just make the best of it." I finish my last dish, hand it to him to dry and make my way back to the living room. I place myself next to Jimin on the couch while Yoongi and Jungkook claim the comfy chairs and Tae makes his own nest on the floor with all of the blankets he could find. Luckily he gives up a few so the rest of us can stay warm. After a couple episodes, my eyes grow very heavy. I peek around to see Tae and Yoongi already passed out. Jungkook's head bobs as he fights sleep and Jimins blinks become slower and slower. I let out a big yawn and Jimin shifts around in his spot.

"Here." He whispers while patting his lap with a pillow on it. I sleepily hum and position myself so my head is in his lap. I feel him put his hand on my shoulder before falling into a deep sleep.