➛⠀𝟮𝟮 | 𝗔𝗗𝗔𝗠'𝗦 𝗛𝗘𝗟𝗣

You remained restless as you stared into nothingness, paying no attention to the illusion you had concocted to keep yourself entertained. You weren't paying close attention any longer, and you were just exhausting and draining yourself. With a heavy sigh, you flicked your wrist to turn off the illusion. You retrieved your burner phone under your pillow and started looking through your contacts.

Contacts
Adam
Chaser
Dino Girl
Molls
Rainbow Goddess
The Angry Nerd
The Badass Sister

You dialed the number of the person you intended to call and waited. Soon, you heard a voice. "Hey there." You recognized Adam's voice. "(Y/n)?"

"The one and only." You weakly smiled. "Listen, about our meet-up... can we do that? Today?"

You heard shuffling in Adam's background indicating he was surprised. "Oh! Now? Because I could go now. But I still need to take a shower and—"

"Any time would be fine." You responded with a faint chuckle. "I just... All I want to do now is get the fuck out for a bit. So much had happened, and it was driving me insane. Well, more insane, actually..."

"At the very least, did you get enough rest?" You kept your mouth shut, allowing Adam to answer his own question. "Oh, (Y/n)..."

"I'm fine." You chuckled nervously. "This is, like, a typical day in my life. It's cool."

"What? No, it's not cool. We can postpone our meet-up and reschedule it so you can rest today."

"I'm fine." You hissed until you felt bad about snapping at Adam. "I'm sorry. Sorry for snapping at you. Right now, all I want to is to see a different face."

Adam sighed and then nodded. "Okay. Let's meet at the convenience store where we last saw one other."

"Sounds perfect." You smiled. "I'll be there." You hung up and hurriedly changed into your clothing before heading to the bathroom. You were relieved that the water had become clean and that all of you were able to take a bath. You emerged from the restroom a few minutes later, wearing your new set of clothes.

As you descended the stairs, you noticed Nico and Alex conversing in his room. Nico landed her eyes on you. "Are you going somewhere?" She asked.

"I'm going to meet with someone." You replied as you got to the bottom of the stairs.

Alex hurriedly rose from his seat, peeking his head out from his computer to see you. "Meeting someone? You never informed us that you were going to meet someone."

"To be fair, this is my first proper meeting with him." You admitted as you got closer to Nico and Alex.

Alex's eyes widened and his mouth opened in surprise and jealousy. "Him? You have a boyfriend or something?"

"Hey." Nico nudged Alex in the side, making him wince. "I get to ask that question." She turned to face you. "Do you have a boyfriend or something?" She asked the same question that Alex have asked.

You shook your head. "He's just a friend. And I'm sure you're already familiar with him."

"It can't be that guy Adam, right?" Alex joked, but when you didn't laugh back, his smile faded, implying that his remark was correct. "Oh, my God. It's that Adam guy?"

Nico lifted her eyebrows in astonishment and delight, while Alex remained unimpressed. "Oh, wow. You finally got his number." Nico chuckled a bit before shaking her head and changing her expression. "But, (Y/n), we can't really trust anyone right now. Especially what happened with... well, you know."

You let out a small sigh and smiled at Nico. "I'll be back soon, I promise." You reassured her. You shifted your gaze to Alex, who appeared to be still displeased. "And if I don't... then it's okay."

Alex and Nico exchanged glances as you walked away. They were about to ask you what you meant by those words, but you already left. Alex crossed his arms as he shook his head. "I don't trust him. I never trusted Adam."

"Calm down, Alex." Nico sighed. "If he's hostile against (Y/n), we'll kick his ass."

Alex was serious when he gazed down at Nico. "We didn't even get his last name."

When you arrived at the same convenience store, you noticed Adam standing and waiting outside. He kicked a stray rock as he peered around, oblivious to the fact that you were nearby. You gave him a big smile as you approached him carefully, ready to startle him. You jolted up and shouted when you were inches away, causing Adam to jump. "Shit!" He gasped audibly. "Do you love scaring people?"

With a chuckle, you shook your head. "Sorry. I don't love it but I just took the perfect opportunity to scare you." Your smile dropped. "Y-You're not mad, are you?"

Adam shook his head. "No, I'm not. Quite surprised that you managed to scare me. I'm not jumpy." He stared at you see your tired face that you tried to mask with a smile. He frowned and gently pushed back your hair, causing you to flinch. "Meeting with me shouldn't be your priority, (Y/n)."

You stifled a laugh. "I just felt bad for not going last time. After Alex's return, it's been quite busy."

"Where was he anyway? If you don't mind me asking." Adam asked as the two of you began walking away from the store.

You shrugged. "Oh, you know. Out. Trying to make money, I guess."

"You guys are no longer wanted. You can come home to your parents and—"

"We are not going back to them." You cut his sentence off. "Sorry, it's just... they've done things that are too disturbing. I wouldn't expect you to understand."

As he looked down, Adam nodded. "No, I get it." He replied. "My parents have done... things too. Things they said to keep me safe."

You looked at him with a mixture of guilt and sympathy. "Our parents also said those things to us..."

Adam let out a breathy chuckle as he craned his neck up. "Ah, I guess we're not so different."

You shrugged. "Well, Tina and Robert are my adoptive parents. I never really knew about my biological parents." When you thought of something, you came to a complete stop. "Um, Adam?"

Adam came to a complete stop in his steps and turned to face you. "Yeah?"

"Can you help me find someone?" You asked. "I mean like, search someone. Someone in Sokovia?"

Adam shrugged and tucked his hands into his pockets as he leaned against a post. "Sure, I could do that. But can't Alex help you?"

You pressed your lips together as you scratched the side of your head. "I... don't really want to bother him. I mean, I don't want to bother you either but..."

Adam chuckled as he nodded. "No, no, it's fine. Just tell me the name and I can look it up for you."

"Wanda Maximoff."

As soon as she heard the name of your first adoptive sister, Adam's smile vanished. He blinked twice as he took his arms out of his pockets and crossed his arms. "I-I'm sorry? Wanda Maximoff?" He asked, double-checking that he had heard you correctly. "What is she to you exactly?"

"Adoptive sister." You answered. "Why?"

"Well... I may have heard her name but I need to make sure."

Your eyes lit up as you clutched Adam's jacket in eagerness. "You did? Oh, please let me know as soon as you find out where she is. I have so much to tell her, and—"

"Hey, hey." Adam flashed a sweet smile as he held your shoulder. "I will, okay? Just calm down and get some rest. I'll text you the details as soon as I find out."

You smiled in return and hugged him, which caught Adam off guard. He softly gulped as he hesitantly wrapped his arms around your body, uncertain if he was doing the right thing. You sighed in relief. "Thank you..."

-•-°-•-°-☆

Sorry for the short (maybe?) chapter!