➛⠀𝟮𝟲 | 𝗝𝗢𝗡𝗔𝗛'𝗦 𝗦𝗛𝗜𝗣

After Alex informed Nico that the building site was no longer under surveillance, you and your friends entered."Hey, you guys," Nico called out, earning you and the other's attention. "We don't all need to go."

As he walked up to Nico and Gert, Chase nodded. "Yeah. You're right." Chase turned to look at Gert and she gave him a look of shock. "If we get stuck, you can't defend yourself," Chase explained.

Gert faced Nico. "You told me not to bring Old Lace."

"Because she's not the most predictable creature, and we've all got our hands full already," Nico replied.

"You need to look out," Chase stated. "To text us as soon as someone shows up."

"So you want me to stay out here alone and defenseless, knowing that a hundred armed guards, Jonah, and possibly our homicidal parents could show up at just any minute?" Gert questioned, drawing a few concerned looks from the group. Gert gave a proud smirk. "Yeah, I got this."

Chase cracked a smile while Nico nudged you. "You can come with Gert too. Protect each other while we go to the hole."

You nodded and walked out of the dig site with Gert. You and Gert scoured the area until you found a building from which you and Gert could keep an eye out for Jonah and PRIDE. You used your powers to lift yourself and Gert up causing her to grab your arm. "Oh, geez." Gert gasped as she lowered her head.

You and Gert landed safely on the roof and looked out over the building site, where Nico, Karolina, Molly, and Chase could be seen. "Good luck, guys..." You whispered.

"You fly with such ease." Gert beamed, causing you to turn to her and smile. "Karolina's a great teacher." You looked down at the road to see whether there were any vehicles approaching the construction site.

"Hey, since we're probably going to be in here for a while..." Gert spoke up. "I don't want to pry, but... how's things between you and Alex?"

You blinked twice in confusion as you turned to face Gert. "Sorry, what?"

"The way you two look at each other? Come on, you two look like you're married even if you both are not in the boyfriend-girlfriend stage yet."

You scoffed a little and shook your head in denial as you looked away. "Why are so many people asking the same question? Um, no. Alex and I aren't a thing. I'm just a friend to him."

"And what is he to you?" Gert asked as she tilted her head in wonder.

As the breeze caressed your skin and hair, you wondered for a moment. You were completely unaware that the sun had set and that the moon had appeared in the sky. You smiled as you looked at Gert. "I guess he's more than a friend to me."

You and Gert suddenly flinched after hearing distant ethereal shrieking sounds from the hole in the construction site. "What the hell was that?" You asked in shock as you and Gert looked at where Nico, Molly, Karolina, and Chase were.

When Gert saw Jonah's vehicle approaching the construction site, her eyes widened. "Shit!" She instantly opened her burner phone and texted everyone to let them know Jonah had arrived. As soon as Gert sent the text and Jonah parked the car, you suddenly heard a voice in your head. "Karolina." In your heads, you and your friends heard Jonah's voice. "Get out of there now."

You groaned in annoyance as you rolled your eyes. "One voice in my head is enough, Jonah." You muttered angrily, making sure Gert wouldn't hear what you said.

"This is dangerous." Jonah continued. "You have no idea what you're dealing with."

You grabbed Gert's arm when you spotted PRIDE arriving at the construction site as well. "Shit, shit." You whispered as you and Gert glanced at each other. "What do we do?"