➛⠀𝟮𝟱 | 𝗔 𝗡𝗘𝗪 𝗣𝗟𝗔𝗡

"We are so not doing your plan." Alex sternly told Gert who was standing beside Karolina in his room. Gert and Alex were discussing what to do at the dig site as you and Nico headed down the stairs. Gert proposed Karolina's plan on saving the ship, but Alex didn't want to do it.

"We're totally doing our plan," Gert argued.

"No."

"Yes."

Nico stayed back, silently listening as you approached Gert and Karolina. Alex sighed. "The risk is too great. We already worked this out. I destroy the infrastructure with my computer, and you guys bury the ship so that it can't get out, ever. It's done."

"Alex, there's a moral imperative here now." Gert implied. "There are lives at the bottom of that hole."

"Who could be more versions of Jonah," Alex argued. "Why would we help them?"

"Could be more versions of her." You replied, pointing at Karolina with your head tilted.

Karolina nodded. "If you bury them, you bury me."

Alex frowned as he considered the situation. "That's not fair." He muttered.

"I've touched them," Karolina stated. "They're alive like we're alive, and they're suffering. Dying."

While Gert was talking, Alex shook his head. "We can't think of the creatures as 'them'. That's the same thinking that led our parents to put teenagers in a murder box."

"And we swore we weren't going to be like those assholes," Nico spoke up from behind causing you, Gert, and Karolina to turn around. Karolina locked her gaze on Nico, who had her hands on her hips. "How long have you been standing there?" Karolina asked.

"Long enough," Nico replied as she walked toward you, Gert, and Karolina, nodding at Alex. "I'm with them."

Alex huffed as he looked away. "I guess this just turned into a rescue mission." He declared earning smiles from you, Gert, Karolina, and Nico. Gert patted you on the back. "I'm gonna go tell Molly."

Nico nodded. "I'll tell Chase. Karolina, wait for Jonah to text you." You were left alone with Alex as the three girls walked away. You turned to him and smiled while he pressed his lips together, a bit hesitant with the plan. "Come on, rescuing a bunch of extraterrestrial beings isn't that bad of a plan." You reassured him as you walked toward him.

"Well, let's just hope they're not a bunch of Jonah and instead, they're more like Karolina." Alex sighed and looked up at you while placing his hands on his lap. "Can't believe we have aliens on this planet."

Your smile grew bigger as you leaned your head to the side. "Really? Remember when the Avengers fought the Chitauri and that Norse god Loki back in 2012? They're aliens and that didn't seem to faze you?"

Alex stifled a laugh. "I mean, I didn't expect LA to have aliens. It's generally New York that gets to experience both scary and exciting events."

"So, you're saying this mission sort of excites you now?"

"Well..." Alex tilted his head as he wondered. "Maybe? I don't know, I just really want this mission to be over, and hopefully, we get out alive."

You agreed with Alex's statement and nodded. You turned around to leave, but you felt Alex taking your hand and pulling you towards him. You looked down at him with a shocked expression as he looked up at you. "Yeah?" You asked, trying to not make your voice higher from surprise because of how close you two were.

"I..." Alex glanced away as he took a deep breath. "If we ever make it out alive, I'm going to tell you something."

As he looked up to stare into your eyes, he softly brushed his thumb on the top of your hand. He slowly leaned up until your noses brushed against each other. You briefly closed your eyes until you snapped them open when you heard someone speak up. "Jonah texted me," Karolina announced as she looked at you and Alex. You diverted your gaze while Alex blinked twice, attempting not to appear irritated by Karolina's interruption. "Great." He replied. "I'm gonna talk to someone real quick and then let's gather everyone."