Part 1 : The Truth

Long long time ago, there was a dynasty that ruled most of the parts of India... According to ancient India, the kingdom was in Hastinapur... Maharaj Santanu ruled the kingdom at that time... He got married to Devi Ganga according to the wiah of his father... His father told him that a beautiful girl wanted to marry Santanu and told him so... He wanted his son to oblige to the wish of that beautiful young lady and never question her works... At the correct age, Maharaj Santanu married Devi Ganga... They were happy... But the heart wrenching site was that Maharaj Santanu had to bear the death of his own sons... One by one his sons were born and one after the other they were thrown in the waves of Ganga... After losing his 7 sons, when he was going to lose his 8th son he couldn't control himself and questioned her what was she doing... He wanted to keep atleast one son to become the descendant of the huge Kingdom... Ganga Devi smiled and told Maharaj Santanu about the history of the 8 Vasus who got cursed for stealing the cow of a sage... Since the 8th Vasu was at the fault he got cursed to spend a life of human in Earth while the rest of them were born for sometime... That's why she was throwing them away in the Ganga as per their wish... She handed his son to him and went away as per her promise of going away from him if he questioned her once...
     When Devabrata came back after taking his lessons, Maharaj Santanu was very happy... But his happiness was short lived... On a fine day he saw a daughter of fisherman and liked her at the same instant... When je told her father that he wanted to marry her, he said he will give his daughter to him on a promise that his daughter, Satyavati's sons would rule the kingdom... Santanu never wanted to take away the rights of Devabrata... But Devabrata got to know about the situation and promised that he won't marry and won't take over the kingdom, thus solving the problem... Due to this big promise, he got the name Bhishna... Soon Vichitravirya and Chitrangada were born... Chitrangada died in a war when Vichitravirya was a kid... When Vichitravirya was of marrying age, Bhishma got him married to Ambika and Ambalika, the daughters of Kashi raj... Amba another daughter of Kashi raj was also brought for the same purpose but as she granted Shalya, a prince who came to her Swayamvar as her husband, she was released... But when she wasn't accepted there she imposed the fault of the whole situation on Bhishma... After all these, Ambika and Ambalika got pregnant through Maharshi Ved Vyas as Vichitravirya died and Pandu and Dhritarashtra were born... Pandu got the throne as Dhritarashtra was blind from birth and while he was the king, he killed a sage couple copulating thinking them to be deers... The sage while dying cursed Pandu that he will die when he will be in a situation to copulate with his wife...

Due to the curse of Pandu, he with his wives Kunti and Madri started residing in the forest in the outskirts of Hastinapur like the sages... Pandu started performing austerities to attain salvation...

He wished to have children... To give a proper descendant to Hastinapur who have the capacity to attain the throne after Dhritarashtra... But due to that curse, he couldn't...

His curse was that if he came in a position to copulate with his wife, he will succumb to death

Kunti knew about the longing of Pandu... But couldn't think of anything to fulfill her husband's wish to get children... But suddenly one day she remembered about the boon... She told him about the boon... Pandu got very happy... He couldn't control his excitement... He was very happy...