Thirty eight

Harry's pov

"When he hurt you, it was his wolf trying to crawl out. You two haven't been able to consummate your bond as wolves yet because your not eighteen. It tends to strain a bond." I look down at Louis, wiping his hot forehead with the flannel once again. He would look peaceful if not for the way he winced every so often. He's been out for almost a day now, the night turning into his birthday.

"But because he's so close to his birthday, the new side of him didn't react well. I remember Jay describing it as a war, like her two sides were fighting until they met a stalemate and worked together."

I run my fingers through Louis' locks, a content sigh coming from him even as he sleeps. My mum sits beside me, hand running through the back of my hair.

After what happened, Louis fainted, face first into my chest. It would have been comical if not for the situation. I immediately cried out for help, ignoring we were both naked in the tiled floor of the bathroom.

It was a blur what happened, between the pain of Louis' claws breaking my skin to holding him in arms as he fell unconscious. I shiver that the thought of it.

I never want to see someone I love like that again, either hurting me or hurt like that themselves.

"What happens if they don't reach a stalemate?" I can't help but ask, looking between my mum and Mark.

"Let's not think about that, H." She smiles softly at me, before looking at the watch on her wrist. "It's almost midday. Mark, what time was Louis born?"

"1:47 pm."

"It'll start soon then."

***

I had completely spaced on the fact it was Christmas Eve until mum managed to drag me down stairs. The pack house was eerily quiet, recents events dampening the festivities a bit.

Despite that, I sat down on the lounge room floor with Lottie and fizzy, handing them some of their gifts since Mark had yet another meeting with the elders. It was just us and mum, until Niall sat beside me with a sheepish smile. I simply handed him the gift I'd got him with a grin.

"Where's Lou, Harry? It's after one." Fizzy asked, her little fingers weaving braids into my hair. It was getting long, so it being out of my face in anyway was a blessing.

"He's still sleeping in, Fiz. He didn't feel well last night." I replied, avoiding Lottie's eyes as she looked at me questioning.

"He's a bit lazy." I laughed at Fizzy's response, making it girl giggle as well. She tied the finished braid off, before leaving for the kitchen were my mum was calling for her.

"Is he ok?" Lottie asked. "Lou never misses presents."

I looked up at her. Her face was covered in concern. Nobody really knew what was going on, only Mark, mum and myself. We had to keep it from the elders as Mark was concerned about what would happen if they and any other pack would find out.

"He's just got a stomach bug. He's fine." I lied, and she gave me a disbelieving look.

She was about to respond when I was hit by a wave of pain. It had been a dull ache, barely there all day, but what I was feeling through the mate bond now was so intense it made me curl in on myself.

"Harry?!" Lottie scrambled over to me.

"Help me up." I gritted my teeth, managing to get to my feet with her help.

I gasped as a searing burn went down my legs, almost making me fall to the ground. But I held onto the wall as I rushed out the room as quickly as I could.

"Harry? What's happening? Are you ok?" Lottie was following me as I reached the stair case and started to ascend as the pain dwindled a bit.

"Yeah. Can you tell my mum to come upstairs? Stay down here with Fizzy please?" I begged her, looking into her wide blue eyes. I saw the same look of fear Louis had last night reflected in them.

"Ok." She nodded before running towards the kitchen.

I got halfway down the hallway before another wave of burning erupted, but this time in my arms. Louis' scream echoed throughout the house as it shook the walls.

I managed to get to our door and push through, only to find him on the floor at the end of the bed. On all floors, he was shirtless and breathing heavily.

The sound of the door slamming shut made Louis look up. His eyes glowed bright blue, more vibrant than I've ever seen before and he growled loudly at me.

It made me drop to me knees how dominating it was.

But his eyes flashed back to normal as he blinked as he almost dropped to the floor. "Harry help me."

My throat was constricted as I slowly moved closer to me, trying not to anger him again. He whined like a kicked puppy and I crawled quicker.

Wrapping his arms around my waist, he pushed his face into my neck and breathes in heavily. My still only mild scent seemingly calming him. I could feel pain somewhat subside.

"Lou?" I whispered, running my hands down his back and up through his hair.

"Haz." He murmured in response, moving impossibly closer to me. I tried to ignore the butterflies I felt and rubbed my cheek on top of his head and down to his cheek until our heads were aligned.

The pain was almost gone now, and Louis' pulled his head back to rub his nose against mine. There was something simple about our actions, it as if we were scenting each other subconsciously.

"Is it over yet? I want my alpha back." I mumbled, not meaning to sound so weak but not being able to not. My voice cracked at the thought of him hurting more.

"I think so." His hands came up to cup my face, holding my red cheeks as he made eye contact with me.

They were the same blue eyes I loved, but with a certain sparkled glow about them that made me even more enamoured.

"I'm sorry, my sweet omega."

I just wrapped my arms around his neck and hid my face into his neck, kissing his damp skin to accept his apology.