Forty

The whole house is uneasy.

Christmas Day was... different. My parents and Gemma had headed home in the morning, they'd been gone from the pack too long. It made me sad thinking of how long I have been too.

The Tomlinson pack was a good enough distraction though, from Lottie and Fizzy screaming at each other and Louis glaring at Niall everytime he was in the room.

Everything was fine until lunch, when Mark finally showed up from the seeming never ending meetings with the pack's elders.

Louis' kiddish mood he'd had since last night, what I was thriving on to stop myself been so worried about the recent events, was quickly spoiled.

"I've managed to arrange a meeting with Alpha Marcel."

Just his name made my blood run cold. With a clash, Louis had dropped his cutlery onto his plate.

"Sorry, what?" Louis tone made me sink into my seat. Mark cleared his throat, clearly unnerved with Louis' tone. His alpha was stronger now, his whole scent asserting a dominance I'd never experienced before.

It is intoxicating. In an amazing, making me want to jump him, kind of way.

"He's agreed to a meeting. We want to try and avoid war, Louis." Mark gave him a warning look, and I could just feel Louis' anger warming through the bond. "You will be coming with me. You too Harry."

"No. Harry's staying here." Louis all but growls, making the whole table look towards him. I clear my throat, placing my hand to Louis' thigh, trying to anchor him to the seat. the last thing we need right now is a fight between two alphas

Mark grumbles, taking a deep breath and focusing on us sitting across from him. "You two are the future leaders of what is going to be the biggest pack in the country. Both of you. We need to show unity, we need to be a strong pack that can face any enemy."

Louis is silent for a moment, his hand warm and clammy when it comes to rest over mine. He simply nods.

***

"I don't want you coming." His voice is soft, a gentle whisper into the hair on the top of my head as I lay against his chest. We're cuddled up in bed, the house finally quiet after seemingly endless weeks of chatter.

Yet, despite the calmness, I couldn't stop the anger bubbling.

"You can't just stop me from doing something, Louis." I snap, sitting up and climbing off the bed. Louis' eyes widen, before frowning and stand up in front of me.

"Wow ok, that's not what I'm trying to do here-"

"just because I'm an omega doesn't mean I'm weak or useless! All my life ive been told what to do and what not to do, I've had my whole future planned out for me. I'm sick of it!" I explode, not even digesting my own words until they're out.

Louis grumbles, a rumbling that carries through my own body. "I'm not telling you want to do. I know I can't control you, Harry. That's not what I'm trying to do." His words are certain, his eyes boring into mine with determination. "There's no way I could ever even attempt too. You're my mate for a reason, one being you are your own person."

I swallow down the lump formed in my throat, staring at him for a moment. His eyes are still wide, as if pleading with me. They sparkle at me. His scent is strong. His hair is smooth despite it being ruffled from the long day we've had.

No, don't get distracted. You're mad at him! I need to remember that.

I'm trying to think of a response. Nobody has ever said anything like that to me. I mean, I was always pushed to be somewhat independent as a kid, but it was always given I'd be an omega or beta. We're supposed obey, be told what to do. I like to do good, be good. But nobody can control my life. I still have free will, and I'm determined to keep that. I'm stressed, everything that has happened in the last few days, fuck, the last few months has been a lot.

"I love you." Is all I can think to say. Louis' face softens. Forget being mad.

"I love you more." He pulls me to him, tucking my face into his neck. I breathe him in, letting his familiar scent that is slowly mixing with mine as it gets stronger. "I just wanna keep you safe." He whispers, nosing my neck up until my hair, scenting me.

"I'm scared." I confess, whispering trying to stop my voice breaking. My chest feels heavy, and I grip onto Louis' waist tighter.

Louis pulls away, only to rest his forehead against mine. "Why?" He asks softly, guiding us back until we're sitting facing each other on the bed. "Talk to me." He tucks a curl behind my ear and I watch his eyes as he follows his own movements.

"I'm terrified they'll take you away from me. They already took apart of me, and I hadn't even really connected with him yet. I can't loose a even bigger part of me." I can feel the grief flash through the mate bond, and I have to close my eyes as they begin to sting. I don't want to cry.

Louis cups my face, making me open my eyes. His blue orbs glisten with unshed tears.

"That's exactly how I feel, Haz. I can't loose you. We haven't had each other long enough. We haven't had enough time. That's why we're gonna fix all of this." Louis swallows, clearing his throat. "I won't let them do anymore damage to my mate." He nods with determination, before leaning forward to bring his lips to mine.

"My mate." He murmurs in between kisses.

"You're mine." Louis' words melting onto my tongue as he enters my mouth. I grip his hair tightly.

"I'm yours." He groans, pushing me back until my back hits the mattress.

I hold on for dear life because goddess knows I'm never letting go.

Ohh heyyyy :p