PRE ISLAND PT 2

*WARNING*    THIS CHAPTER MENTIONS DRUG USE.

..................................................................

My parents sat me down in the living room, my dad sighed as he started the story of who my real mother was.

"Your birth mothers name is Stella Fitzgerald, we met in high-school she was an enigma. Everyone loved her friends, teachers, boys. I had worked up the courage to ask her out and I was shocked when she said yes."

"As we continued to date I realized early on that she craved something more, everyone was going to college, finding jobs, starting a family. But your mother wanted none of that, she wanted a crazy adventure."

"When we got pregnant with you I thought she would change, see the bigger picture. See that you were the most important thing there was. But she didn't"

"I came home from work one day and heard you screaming, I ran up the stairs and into our room and saw your mother passed out on the floor with a heroine needle in her arm. She had taken drugs in front of you. I quickly picked you up from your crib and packed our stuff and left."

"I tried to turn a blind eye and pretend I wasn't aware of her abusing drugs. But the second she allowed drug dealers into my home with you there and so young, I couldn't pretend anymore. So I did what I thought was right."

"Emma it's true, we did kiss. But it was a goodbye kiss one of the saddest kisses of my life, you remind me so much of your mother. You look just like her when she was your age."

"And you share that personality trait of needing and wanting something more and exciting, except you're driven. You're a good kid. You do your school work, you have great grades. You do everything that is expected of you, your mother did not."

I focus on my parents as my dad finishes his story, "So you haven't spoken to her in 15 years, until today?" My dad shakes his head "No, every month since we left I send her a thousand dollars in order for her not to take it to court and get parental rights over you."

I sigh, "But she wants to see me now?" My dad nods at me "Yes, it appears she does." I nod my head "So that's good right, it means she is clean." My dad looks up at my mother or the women I have called mother my whole life.

"It might, but Emma it mustn't be so. She has caused a lot of pain to people, I cannot let that happen again." I go to open my mouth and argue but my dad beats me to it.

"Emma, I know you're curious and will try and go out of your way to meet her, and your curiosity is one of the things I love about you. But she has been abusing drugs since I have known her, it's hard to believe she suddenly has decided to get sober."

I nod my head, I see where my dad is coming but I feel I have the right to see my mom. To know her. "But she is better, she wants to see me. Doesn't that count for something?"

My dad sighs "But until now she has preferred the money over you." I sit back in the couch with a sigh.

"If I didn't find out were you ever going to tell me?" My dad looks to my mom and don't answer me I nod my head knowing my answer. "I...I think I need to lie down." And with that I make my way into my bedroom.

................................................................

Three days ago my parents told me about my birth mother, things have been a bit tense in the house but other then that it was ok.

I have been researching my birth mother on my macbook, after hours of researching I finally found her. I knew it was her immediately as she looked like me, just just with brown eyes instead of blue.

In a photo of her when she was younger on Facebook I saw that she had a bracelet around her right wrist, I gasp and trace the photo with the bracelet with my finger and look to my wrist that held that same bracelet.

I have had this bracelet since I can remember, my dad says I wore it home from the hospital. I smile softly as I realize she had given me her bracelet. And that I had a part of her this whole time without even knowing.

I quickly slam my laptop shut as my mother knocks on my door and opens it, "Emma honey, your father and I would like to speak to you in his study." I nod as I follow her down stairs and to my dad's study.

My mom walks around my fathers desk and places her hands in his shoulders, I take the chair that sits in front of his grand oak desk. "Emma, we have something we would like to discuss with you."

I nod my head allowing him to start his conversation, "We know you well enough to know that you have probably researched your birth mother online, and we understand you have questions and would like to talk with her."

I sit forward hoping they have changed their minds, "But your mother and I feel as though you're not ready. And frankly we are not either. We do not want to take your phone or computer away as they were gifts. But we fear you will reach out to her."

I frown slightly as I was hoping they would let us talk, I would even settle for a phone call instead. "Your mother and I have found something we wanted to bring to your attention."

I nod as my dad hands me over a little pamphlet, I take it from his hands and read the front "Passageways dawn of Eve all girls retreat." I scoff at what I am reading "You're sending me away?" I ask astonished.

My parents frantically shake their heads "No, it's temporary. We are hoping they can help you come to terms with how you're feeling better then we can. Once they feel you have made progress you're allowed to come back home."

My dad pauses before he continues "This is a great opportunity for you to experience something new and maybe even make more friends."

I scoff "You want me to go to Hawaii on an all girls retreat and what? Sing ring around the rosey braid each other's hair?"

My mother sighs "Emma sweetie, we believe this could help. We have done extensive research and found that their work has helped many people."

"I don't need help! I just want to talk to my birth mother." My dad sighs frustratedly "We understand, I'll make you a deal. If you go to the retreat and give it a real try when you get back if you still want to you can meet your birth mother."

I pause "You're serious? You're not just saying that to get me to say yes?" My dad nods his head "I am serious. But if you still would like to meet her I will be going with you."

I smile and nod my head "Ok fine." My parents smile brightly at me "Now you're a last admission but we were able to get you into the program. You will be flying to Hawaii on the last plane ride out of LA, in about two hours."

"Ok, I'll go back." I sigh.