NIGHT 24. SOLID PROMISES

Kirin and I sat by the fire listening to each other breathe, waves crashing, and fire crackling. Kirin sighs and sniffs slightly causing me to quickly spin in his arms. He was crying.

"Bub, what's wrong?" I asked panicked Kirin sighs "It's stupid." He mutters but I shake my head "It's not stupid if it's upsetting you." Kirin nods his head and speaks.

"I'm worried that...when we get off the island you'll not want to be with me anymore. For the first time in a long long time I feel like someone really cares and loves me, I don't want to lose that. I don't want to lose you."

I sigh and move closer as if that was even possible, "I do!" I exclaim "And I would never not want to be with you! I promise. That's never ever going to happen." I say with such seriousness. Kirin pulls his knees to his chest and nods.

"Babe, look at me." I speak calmly, I watch as Kirin slowly lifts his head as the tears staining his cheeks catch the light of the fire. I reach my hand up and gently wipe them away and kiss the spots they once were.

"I promise you, I'll always be by your side. There isn't anything that would make me think or do other wise." Kirin sighs at my words "I've been promised that before, but my dad left and then my mom left. Not physically but in other ways."

I nod in understanding of what he meant. "What would it take to convince you that you're stuck with me?" Kirin thought for a moment.

"I need something, like solid proof." I nod as I think and look down in thought, and that's when I see it. My bracelet.

I start to untie the leathery string fabric from my wrist, I feel Kirin pull my hand away from my wrist "Uh, what are you doing?" I look up at him "Giving you something solid." I state as if it was obvious.

But Kirin shakes his head "You can't give me that, you said you have never taken it off" I nod my head "Yeah I never have." I confirm "Until now."

Kirin sighs and tilts his head to look deeper into my eyes, "Why?" I take his large hands into mine and my thumb subconsciously rubs at his knuckles. "Your past people have broken promises to you, so much so you don't even believe when a person says it to you. You said you need solid proof. This is solid, and even more so it's so important to me that it shows how serious I am."

"That's why you can't give it to me." Kirin explains but I shake my head "No, it's exactly why I should." I say as I untie the bracelet from my wrist and reach out for Kirin's wrist.

He notices and doesn't move, "Stop being difficult and let me do something romantic." Kirin laughs lightly and hesitantly gives me his wrist as I tie on the bracelet.

I tap Kirin's wrist that now wears my bracelet "There isn't anywhere else I would rather this bracelet be then right here." Kirin smiles and brings his wrist to his face.

"It really is pretty, unique too." I nod my head "It is, I've never seen anything like it. I found out my birth mother gave it to me." I watch as Kirin's eyes get wide I almost fear they'll fall out of his skull.

"Don't even say it, it's already on you." Kirin sighs defeated and nods his head. "Stay here." Kirin says as he jumps up and heads to the shelter quietly where all the boys were peacefully sleeping.

"Not like I have anywhere else to go." I mutter. I pick up a stick near by and stick it into the fire and watch as it slowly catches fire before I pull it out and bring it to my face.

I wash as the flames twist and dance around the top of the stick in hand and immediately feel calm, everything around me vanishes and it's just me. Watching the fire.

My attention is drawn away as Kirin sits back next to me.

I look up and he smiled widely before dramatically pulling something from behind his back and holding it in front of me so I can see it, a ring.

My brows furrow in confusion as I take it from his hands and run my finger over the gold band, it's then that I notice the inscription on the outside that reads; "McKinley 21' lacrosse championship." I look at Kirin who is watching me.

"Last year we won the championship, they gave us all these rings." I nod and see that the inside of the ring is also inscripted "Kirin O'Connor #9" I smile and look at Kirin who is watching with me with what I catch as admiration.

I flip the ring around and trace the emblem of two lacrosse sticks making an X and a ball in the middle. They made the ring look as if they were fighting for the ball.

"It's beautiful, thank you for showing it to me." I say as I hand it back but Kirin shakes his head "I wasn't showing it to you, I'm giving it to you." I immediately shake my head and open my mouth to protest but Kirin beats me to it.

"You gave me something important to you, so now I'm giving you something important. This is our promise to each other,  no matter what happens on or off this island. We will always be together no matter what."

I smile at Kirin "Actions speak louder then words." He nods "They do, this is everything and nothing is going to change that."

I nod and lean into Kirin we look deep into each other's eyes before he leans the rest of the way in.

Our lips brush one another's and then they fully envelope each other, this kiss is soft, sweet, passionate. Kirin lays back in the sand as I climb on top of him and straddle his waist.

I kiss down his jaw and to his neck and work my way back up to his lips, Kirin puts his hands on my waist as we kiss.

Our tongues dance with one another in pure bliss, I pull away and Kirin and I stare sweetly at one another. His face is lit up by the fire next to us and only that. I unbutton the Hawaiian style shirt Kirin is wearing and press open mouthed kisses to his chest.

That night on the beach Kirin and I showed each other how we truly felt for one another, love.