I Miss You, Asena!

Two girls sat in a beautiful garden.

“I miss you, Asena.” Lilah started.

Asena, a girl with dark brown hair and nut-brown eyes seated before her, replied. “I miss you more. You have no idea.”

“Then why can’t you come back to us? If you miss me so much, why can’t you come back to me?” Tears filled up the space in Lilah’s baby-blue eyes.

“You know that is not possible. No medicine can work after death. This is the only way we can meet and communicate and I choose you because you are my only sister. If I had the power to come back, I would have done that without second thoughts. As you can see, I am in peace.” an exasperated sigh escaped Asena’s lips. “I want you to take care of my mate. He’s going through a lot. Take care of mum and dad. They’re over me already, but I can still feel their burden.”

“I will,” Lilah answered.

A small smile formed on Asena’s lips. Tears rolled down her eyes, and she wiped it off. “And Asher. It’s unfortunate, a brush with death always helps us live better, but it’s a distinct case with him. Death is a bitter pill we all have to chew. Tell Asher to stop worrying about me. Every time his heart aches, I feel the pain as well.” Her hand crawled to hold her sister’s. “Lilah, my dearest sister. Help me tell him to move on.”

Lilah held her sister in a hug as she cried silently onto her shoulders. While held tears, her eyes felt sour and heavy, just like her heart was that very moment. But Asena tapped her younger sister gently at the back.

“It’s okay, stop weeping for me,” she begged.

“I will do all you ask of me, sister. Even though it’s difficult to live without you. I promise to calm them down.”

“Okay.” Asena smiled, and they held themselves in another soft hug.

‘Knock! Knock!! knock!!!’

Someone came tapping at the door. Lilah jerked up from the dream and her eyes opened to a red rose placed in front of her. It always appeared anytime she dreamt of her late sister, Asena.

‘Knock! Knock!! knock!!!’ The knocking came again.

“Lilah! Lilah Wulfric!” Her mother called.

“Are you still there? It’s 9:00 a.m. already! Won’t you go to work?”

Lilah turned over to the other side of her pillow with more tears in her eyes. She sighed heavily on her breath as tears rolled down her red eyes.

‘Knock! Knock!! Knock!!!’

“Please, get up and prepare for work. You don’t want to get sacked, do you?” her mother’s voice echoed from outside her room.

‘Knock! Knock!! Knock!!!’

“I won’t beg your boss to accept you back if he changes his mind! Don’t say I didn’t warn you!” She hissed and walked away from the door.

Lilah buried her face in her palms, weeping. She choked on the running tears, burying her face in the soft pillow. Later, she stepped out of her room. The house was gravely silent and Lilah knew that definitely her mum must have gone to work. Her dad, Rafael traveled a week ago for a business trip in Korea.

She took a colossal frame of Asena’s photo at hand, thinking about their childhood days.

“My dearest Asena. Why do you have to go? Why do you have to leave your only sister, your best friend?” She sniffed, hugging the framed photo to her chest. “I miss you so much, sis. I miss you so much, Asena. When will you come back to me? We still have a lot to do together. Why can’t you come back, Asena?”