Humiliated

“What was that all about?” Eliana asked immediately after closing hour.

“What?” Lilah gave an innocent look at her.

“Our CEO, of course. Don’t you notice his strange behavior? And the way he looked at me, as if I did something wrong! How annoying?”

“No, I didn’t.” Lilah hissed, giving her an incredulous look before taking her bag.

Eliana turned to her, dumbfounded.

“Lee!” She ran after her into the elevator. “Why would you say something like that? Are you alright?!”

“Maybe you should stop asking me questions, Elie! Everyone has a life outside Sure West Communications, okay?” Lilah pointed at her before stepping out of the elevator. Lilah walked out of the building while Eliana followed her behind. Unable to add more words, Lilah stopped a yellow taxi and jumped in without saying goodbye.

Eliana stood by the roadside, watching her leave. “Something is wrong with you too.” she hissed with a rumble of protest in her throat. “You just haven’t recognized it yet.”

Getting home, Lilah prepared lunch and sat down hungry to eat. Eliana was right. Something is wrong. Lilah bright up, shuffling down the noodles. But how does that bothers me? It’s his life, anyway, not mine. All I have to do is to let go of whatever happens. Let bygones be bygones."

‘Ring! Ring!! Ring!!!’

Lilah jerked into reality when she heard the buzz from her phone. Opening out her bag, her finger scrolled through the phone screen.

The caller was ‘Mate’.

A smile formed on her lips as Lilah picked up the call.

“Hello darling.” Conan said once she answered his call. “You’ve been on my mind since morning. How’s work today?”

A blush crept on get cheeks because of his sweet words.

“Yes. How’s today too?”

“Fine, thank you.” He responded. “How about your boss? Are you hearing from him?”

“Yes, he also resumed today.”

“That’s good. Glad to hear that Asher has moved on as well. Should I pay you a visit later today?”

“No, dear. I mean, it’s Wednesday. I’ll pay you a visit on Friday.” She offered.

“Are you sure you’ll be alright till then? I don’t want to hear you’ve been crying.” A sigh seeped from him.

“Conan... You’re so naughty. I’m not a cry-baby, I won’t cry.” She warned, but her voice ended up like a child’s whine.

“Promise to take care of yourself for me.”

Lilah chuckled lightly at his words. “I promise.”

“That’s a relief. Bye for now. I’ll chat with you later.” He said to her.

“Okay, bye.” She replied and hung up the phone.

There was a meeting at the conference room with Asher and some staffs. He read out their new office protocols.

“Questions?” Asher asked.

His stern face turned to the staff of workers. Some were going through the documents presented to them. Just then, he noticed Lilah. Her eyes were transfixed on her notepad, as if lost in thoughts.

“Miss Wulfric!” He called. “Miss Wulfric!”

Eliana, seated right close to her, gave her a gentle pinch. She frowned and Eliana pointed to the boss and the others. Like a deer caught in headlights.

“Yes, sir. Did you call me?” She replied, praying she missed nothing important.

“Where is your mind? Are you here at all?”

“Ummm...” She was about to reply when he cut her off.

“Use the door!”

Her eyes gave an eerie, luminescent glow in the pit of darkness swallowing her.

“Sir... Of course, I’m here with you.” she gave a transfixed stare at him.

“Are you deaf or something? I said get out!”

Shocked at his words, Lilah picked up her files and stood up. She felt the floor reeling before her as she dragged her wobbly feet.

Closing the door behind her, Lilah realized how humiliating that was. How can he send me out of the meeting like that? I can no longer go through this. It’s over! I’m resigning!" She walked to her table hurriedly, slamming the documents on the marble table.

A release of exasperated sigh heaved from her. Her trembling hands clasp on her head, and all she felt was a headache. Her heart sank at her last words.

“What would be my reason? What if mum and dad beg him to pardon me? Ugh...” she wiped out the beads of sweat forming on her forehead.

After the meeting, Eliana rushed her to the ladies, asking what that was all about, but she said nothing. There was no reply to give, even though she felt like exploding about how much she hates him already. “Just give him time, Eliana. He’s still pained about Asena’s death, I’m sure. Time would heal him.”