Back To Square One

The next morning, Lilah stepped into the bathroom to have her morning bath. Stepping into the bathtub, she turned on the shower. Suddenly, a sharp pain struck through her. Lilah felt lightheaded, and her vision suddenly went into a blur. “Help! Help me...”

She placed a hand under her belly, with a little whimper. Her sense of smell perceived a metallic odour. Lilah gazed down at the wetness between her legs and she noticed blood tickling down.

“No.. No, no....” she cried mentally and an involuntary whimper escaped her quivering lips.

“Help me.... My baby.” painful tears spilled over the side I’d her eyes as the fresh, red blood stained the white bathtub. “Ah!!!!” Lilah let out a screech of cry as she struggled to step out of the bathtub. Instead, her floor reeled before her and everything went blank.

The next thing Lilah noticed was the blurry vision of the ward with a sharp pain all over her body.

She opened her eyes, trying to get a clearer vision for minutes. Her stomach and chest really hurt, and she was receiving drip through her veins

Just then, she felt a hand holding her wrist. Lilah noticed the nurse was checking her pulse.

“OMG! She’s alive!” The nurse quietly exclaimed not to cause her more pains.

They exaggerated her chest movement for a while, then it went calm. There was a loud disturbing buzz and then a beeping sound that monitored her heart beats. They placed the machines side by side as if her life depended on it. The monitor displayed moving zig- zagged lines with a flagging signal. Blood soared into Lilah’s ear as the surrounding commotion intensified.

Black spots doodled her vision, bewilderment clouded Lilah’s sides, and a puzzle played in her head. The numbness made her sit forward as pain overwhelmed her weak body. The nurse held Lilah gently, placing her back to lie on the sick-bed.

“Don’t worry about anything. You’ll be fine. Just have some sleep. I’ll call the doctor.” She said gently and brightened her beautiful round face with a smile.

Lilah carefully laid back on the soft pillow.

Minutes later, the doctor came to check on her. He injected Lilah with something again and she slept off. Lilah woke up the following morning. It was as if her head was too heavy for her to even move, while the other parts of her body were afloat. Opening her weak eyes despite the terrible pains and headache caused more pains. Lilah forced herself to the sleep wouldn’t come.

“Lilah!” she heard her mum’s voice and shivered on the bed, knowing it wasn’t a dream. Benita cried and rushed to her daughter, placing a hand of comfort on her weak body. “Thank goodness! She’s awake!”

As Lilah gently opened her eyes, her blurry vision cleared. She saw both of her parents in front of her. Seeing their daughter in the blue hospital gown, wrote depression and sadness all over their faces, but they looked at her with smiles and tears.

“Mu-mmmy.” Lilah muttered. Her voice came out low and painfully hoarse. “Where am I?”

“You’re in the hospital, my dear. You’ll be fine.”

“How did I get here? How long have I been here?” Lilah muttered as painful tears lingered down her cheeks.

“It’s the fifth day today, my lovely daughter.” Benita tried to smile. “You’ve been in the hospital for five days now.”

“W… what?!” her chapped lips muttered with so much pain. More tears gathered in Lilah’s eyes again as she tried to move, but her mum held her back.