This Is The Worst Wedding

The sky was gloomy. Who would have thought that something as light as water would make the sky so dark? Yet it added beauty to the event. Eliana, the maid of honour in her pink organza gown, stood three steps away from the bride. Everything was pink, velvet-red and white at Lilah’s wedding, including the caged doves that were planned to be released after the couple completes their ritual.

Conan and Lilah stood facing each other as the elder started the wedding. He had a long, white robe on with golden hand-sewn ring designs on it. In their pack, the male elder usually joined the couple together as destined mates. Lilah knelt before the elder, who was the eldest werewolf in their pack.

“I’ll pour this wine into this drinking horn and you should show us the chosen one, your destined soulmate. We do not know him yet.” He said with a small smile.

That was a lie. Even though they all knew whom she was tying the knot with, all the elders kept repeating that lie at every wedding. Anyway, he filled the golden, sacred, carved horn with freshly tapped wine and offered it to her.

Lilah clenched it in her right hand and covered its top with her left. Gently, she pulled up from the kneeling, taking a couple of steps to where Conan stood.

Lilah took a glimpse at the crowd. She couldn’t control her heartbeats that raced faster, she had to do this. Lilah knelt down, and raised the horn forward for him to drink.

“Your heart is not here.” A voice said, and she looked up at Conan. The tears hung in her left-lower lashes dropped.

“You are offering me your body, not your soul.” Conan’s jaws clenched while he uttered the words. “You deserve to be happy. If you truly love him, then let him have your drink.”

Another tear trickled down her right eye. Lilah stared up at him, unable to say a word. Her lips trembled, in the speechlessness. She just let the tears flow freely, with the drinking horn at hand.

“I know we wanted this but, maybe we weren’t meant to be. I free you, Lilah.” His voice shivered. “I won’t hold it against you. Go to your mate. I genuinely want to let you go. You aren’t mine anymore.”

More tears washed down her powdered face, but she didn’t care. Conan helped her up to stand on her feet. Lilah turned back and everyone shrieked in amazement. The-lot sounded as short as no.

“Lilah! What’s going on?!” Some of the invited guest raised and there was chaos within the audience. “Is she a runaway bride?!”

According to tradition, Lilah was meant to give her destined mate the wine from the sacred horn before her marriage was sealed. It’s the first step of the marriage ritual; then the vows, kiss and writing on the rock.

She walked down the aisle, slowly, with tears as the guests watched in shock. It was a disgrace. This had never happened in the blue moon pack. About to take a step into the white loamy-sand at the other edge of the aisle, she saw a familiar reflection. Lilah raised her eyes up and it met with Asher’s. They stared at each other, dumbfounded.

Lost for words.

Lilah knelt before him. Lifting the golden horn in his direction. More tears ran down her eyes as his onyx eyes gazing at her as if angry and glad at the same time. As he collected it, her eyes pleaded for him to drink. Asher placed the horn to his lips, drinking it all at once.

“No!” someone cried within the crowd, but despite the noise, Asher gulped it all.

It was as if nothing existed, only the both of them. After drinking, he handled her the cup, and she placed it to the ground.

Lilah pulled up from her kneeling position, and their eyes met once again.

Asher placed a palm under her chin, sealing her cherry-red lips with a passionate kiss. She wrapped her hands over his neck as tears of joy poured down her shut eyes. Asher tipped her head back, kissing her properly, with his hand against her neck. They moved in sync, repeatedly kissing each other. Lilah felt connected to Asher at that moment, more than she ever had before. He pulled off her lips and swiftly moved to her neck. Then he realized they were still at the wedding reception.