You're Fired!

The words Lilah told her boss had been a clock on the wall of her mind. Ticking closer, day and night. Monday came earlier than expected.

Asher is such an annoying boss, but I won’t resign. Not today.’ She got up from bed to prepare for the office before her mum came in, asking questions.

After getting dressed in a white-turtle neck shirt and black-fitted pants, Lilah piled up her hair in a fancy hairdo and went to the living room to kiss her parents goodbye. She took a taxi, making sure she got to Sure West before 8:00 A.M.

Sitting on her chair, Lilah placed her black handbag on her desk and find a brown envelope. Her eyes furrowed at it, wondering what it’s all about. Could it be the payment for the trip she didn’t make?

Lilah tore its edge, taking out the letter, it read.

211 Lincoln Street,
Roseville CA,
95678 United States.

Dear Lilah,

We are incredibly sorry to let you know that your term of service at Sure West Communications has ended immediately. The reason behind this dismissal is that you have violated the employee’s code of conduct, section 3. You left us with no choice than to end your employment right here.

We have given one month to you till July 4th, 2022, to vacate the office. In case you can’t do this, we will pack your things, and you have to straight away leave the premises. We appreciate your work till now in our organization. We wish we could keep you on the team.

Signed by: Chiefs of Staff
Mr. John Boris.

Tears filled the space in Lilah’s coal-lined eyes, the letter dropped to the floor. Her posture drooped as she fell back to her black-lathered chair. Lilah placed a hand over her head. Her nose flared with difficult breaths.

“No, it can’t be.... Asher can’t do this to me!” A solemn tear rolled down her cheek; Lilah’s body looked calm compared to how puzzled her mind was.

Her shoulder slumped while she buried both eyes into the reels of her hands. Lilah stood up at once, picking up the letter and going to face him.

‘How dare he write me a termination letter after humiliating me like that on Friday?!’ She stormed at his door, but it was locked. Aggressively shaking the doorknob, she realized he wasn’t there.

She took her phone and dialed his contact. Again and again, as usual, there was no reply.

“Why on earth does he even have a phone?” she cursed under the thickened breath with a hand on her head.

“Hello, is everything alright?” A familiar voice asked from behind.

Lilah turned around and saw Eliana. She quickly wiped off the tears, but her black-mascara washed off her baby-blue eyes.

“Oh, Elie... I saw this on my desk this morning.” She resisted the tears with another sniff.

Eliana collected it from her, reading through the letter with curious eyes.

“What? How is this even possible? What happened on Friday? You told me he got a replacement... What was it about?”

“I lied to cover up, Elie!” Lilah confessed, amidst her cracking voice. “He actually sent me out of his car! He told me that I was incompetent to go with him.”

“And why would he do that? I think you have to meet him. Settle your differences and please, don’t break up like this.” Eliana pulled her into a tight hug. Lilah could no longer hold the heartbreak. As she fell onto Eliana’s shoulder in a disheveled heap, her grief poured out in a flood of painful tears.