Letting Go Of The Past

It was a Wednesday morning. Eliana prepared and went to a pilgrim medical center. She didn’t tell Maria. Telling her any part of this, or even a twisted lie, would expose the truth. Eliana took the abortion and forget Jack had ever happened.

Entering a gigantic building, the receptionist greeted Eliana. She was a slim lady with a pretty smile. She handed Eliana a medical history form to fill out. The laboratory work-up was done, including blood analysis, RH typing and urinary test. A doctor with transparent glasses performed an ultrasound on her. Eliana was just six weeks pregnant. Then she entered a room where a female counselor sat. The lady had light blonde hair and hazel eyes. Eliana guessed she would be in her mid - fifties and opened up to her with a smile.

“Sit down.” The counselor offered, facing her squarely.

“Do you use contraception?”

“Yeah, condoms.”

“Have you ever considered other forms of contraception? Implants, pills...”

“I haven’t thought about it.” Eliana replied, calmly.

“And how many sexual partners do you have? Male or female?” The counselor raised, vividly rolling her eyes at Eliana.

“A couple in the past. I just have one right now and he’s a male.”

“And have you considered the possibility of adoption?”

“This child would end up being a nuisance. I don’t want an adoption, no.”

“Okay, fine.” She replied, scribbling something into her notepad. “A family, friend or partner would have to bring you and pick you up after the abortion. Who do you think would be available?”

“No one.”

“Why, no one? What about your partner?” the counselor gazed at Eliana through her transparent glasses. Adjusting it a little.

“He’s a cheat.”

“Your family?”

“It would kill my mum. She’s all I’ve got.” Eliana's voice cracked, close to tears.

“Then get a friend. This is an important policy and you must follow.”

Eliana couldn’t help but to think about Lilah. She hoped to pay a visit even though Lilah was occupied with the wedding preparations.

“Okay, ma’am.” Eliana answered as they concluded the discussion.

Eliana steeped out if the center into her rented jeep. Falling into the passenger seat, her phone rang. She checked the screen and saw the name Jack.

Her heart boiled while staring at her phone’s screen. Nothing would make her change her mind now. The call ended, and he dialed her contact again. She didn’t reply. Eliana hissed and kicked the car engines, zooming into the busy road.

She went to Wulfric’s mansion. Luckily, Lilah was home. She asked if Lilah could make it on Friday, which was the day fixed for the abortion. Although Lilah’s wedding was going to hold in two weeks, she agreed without second thoughts.

“What about Jack? Have you heard from him, yet? Did he call you or... Text?” Lilah brought up.

“He called, Lee. I don’t plan to hear from him, ever.” Eliana replied in a flat tone.

“This is crushing. You shouldn’t have to go through these.”

“I know, it hurts.” Eliana nodded in agreement. “I feel so humiliated in his presence. I don’t want to face him.”