Unexpected

Lilah gazed at her reflection over the mirror, wondering why she couldn’t fight the off the lingering memories. As if Asher was there in her head, now and then, but she still despite him a lot.

The magnificent moon rose from the navy blue sky like a treasured ball. And then ebbed with ultramarine and white like washing waves against the sea. It was already dark. Lilah’s phone beeped, and she knew he was already outside, waiting for her.

Passing through the living room, Benita and Rafael were already asleep while the television was still on. Not bothering to wake them up, Lilah stepped out with only her phone at hand. On her was an azure coloured, satin midi dress and simple black sandals.

Walking outside the gates, she met him leaning by the side of his car bonnet. Realizing he must have been waiting for a while, Lilah rushed to him.

“Asher I am so sorry-” She stopped mid-sentence, realizing she had said the wrong name. Conan’s wide smile dropped immediately.

“Conan.” She corrected. “I’m so sorry for keeping you waiting.”

“It’s okay.” He blushed.

“So what is so urgent you wanted to talk to me about?”

“Baby, guess.” He gave a cheeky smile. “Just guess.” He pressed.

Lilah’s blue eyes rolled towards the floating moon. Then back to him. “You know, I’m not good at guessing.”

“Tell me what it is, okay?” He inhaled, grabbing her icy hands into his. It fitted perfectly. “My mum has agreed for us to get married.”

She froze, barely adjusting her eyes to Conan.

“Married?” Her lips stalled before processing the word. At that moment, his words paralyzed her body. Lilah screamed mentally. She had always wanted to marry Conan since she was seven. They had promised a lot of things together. To become successful business managers and build a family with three lovely kids. The promises they made 16 years ago played on her mind and now she can’t imagine taking the wedding vows with him.

“Really?” Her mind disconnected from her body as she replied, staring at him in total shock.

“Yes,” he exclaimed excitedly. “She has accepted” Conan's eyes studied Lilah's red checks and his smile slowly faded. “Are you not happy?”

“Um?” Her head swing into the ocean of thoughts. She buried it up with a fake smile. “I’m... I’m so happy. I’m just surprised. She accepted so soon. Who would have guessed?”

“Yeah, same thing I thought. He revealed. Thank goodness she did. Now that we have her support, we can live together as a couple and fulfill our promises. We can have a beautiful life together. You know, I didn’t expect her to give in so easily, but I’m glad.”

Conan noticed her wide lipped smile. His hand grabbed Lilah by the waist. Pulling her closer to him. Lilah’s blue eyes danced at him, puzzled. Her braless breast touched his chest, giving a tingling feeling as he held her tighter. She wasn’t comfortable with the sudden excitement. Telling him she wasn’t ready might give him another wound. It would be another betrayal. Lilah knew how much she wanted to be his wife months ago. It was her dream, her fantasy. She was so obsessed with his presence. Everything seemed to have change right now. Lilah wriggled at the sensation. His hair tickled her open back.

Conan's lips crashed to hers, but it wasn’t the tender moment she expected. He pulled out of the hug and then cuddled her again, tighter. Her body formed to his as she felt the race of his excited heartbeats.

“We are good, then.” His hands fell from her.

“I’ll inform my parents.” Her hand clung to his car for support.