It's Okay

Asher took his shower as usual and changed into a sport-ash hoodie and fleece joggers, giving him a fresh, contemporary look. Lilah was watching her favourite series on television when Asher stepped into the kitchen.

Heating the oven to 325 degrees, Asher whisked the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and kosher salt together in a bowl. Using the whisk, he made a well in the center. Pouring the buttermilk and whipped cracked eggs into the well and mixed. Then he poured an amount of melted butter into the mixture. Starting in the center, whisking everything together, moving towards the outside of the bowl, until all the ingredients are incorporated.

Sitting in the living room, Lilah could hear the whisking sound from the kitchen. And as he baked, it gave an inviting scent. It looked as if she could see him from the living room. His presence was close.

Then he removed the pancakes to a wire rack set inside the rimmed baking sheet from the heated oven and served on a flat ceramic plate. He added yogurt, strawberry and blackberry as requested.

My special delicacy is ready, and it’s time for the tasting. He alerted, and Lilah sat up. Walking to the dunning table, she stretched her gaze at it till he placed it on the dining table.

“It looks really nice and soft. I’m eager. I hope it tastes good.” She smiled with her cutlery at hand.

Asher watched her with excitement as she took a bite. She closed her eyes, feeling the taste and fluffiness in her mouth.

“Humm.. This is good.”

“I told you.”

“Wow, I’m blown away. So you can cook this good and I’ve been stressing myself since I got here.” she revealed.

“Well, I am a renowned chef. The greatest talents often lie buried out of sight. I have a lot of hidden talents. The problem is, I can’t find them.”

“You could as well be a comedian.” She joked, taking another bite. “Wow, this is heaven!” Lilah commented.

Just then, the door slides open and Amaya walked in.

Hearing the voices, her brows pulled together as she listened. Lilah chuckled, and she realised it was the both of them in the dining room. A smile spread on her face as she walked closer, placing a hand on her mouth to hide the welling joy.

“Hope it remains? I could eat this all day... I need more.” Lilah told him.

“Really? Is it because it’s delicious or are you just obsessed with my cooking already?”

“Come on, now. I’m eating for two. The baby needs more, not me.”

Amaya cleared her throat, and they turned in her direction. “I see that you two are having a beautiful time together.”

“Well, mum. I prepared buttermilk pancakes for Lilah and she can’t stop talking about how good it is.” Asher glided a hand into his black hair, feeling its smooth strands as it fell back.

Lilah noticed, and her smile dropped. “That’s not true. I said I wanted more because I’m eating for two, not because it’s delicious.”

‘It looked as if he made an achievement by cooking for me. How annoying.’ Lilah mentally hissed.

“Really?” Anaya giggled. Happy that they were finally getting along. “I’m so excited right now, but I need to change.”

“Mum, she said it tasted heavenly. Lilah is just using the baby as an excuse.” He told Amaya and turned to Lilah. “I should get you more.”

“No... I don’t want. I’m satisfied already!”

“But you said you could eat this all day.” He reminded her and Lilah furrowed her borrows at him.

“That was a sincere joke, okay? You’re just making a mountain out of a molehill.” Lilah criticized." There’s nothing is special about your pancake!"

“I’ll be downstairs in a jiffy. Amaya muttered as she walked upstairs.

“Okay mum. I’ll serve you as well.” Asher said, watching his mum as she rented her room.

“I’ll just take another plate because of you.” Lilah told him.

“No, because of me, eat for your baby. No, eat for our baby.” He corrected and stood up.

Are you not going to eat? She asked him, raising her fork to him. His smile faded as he stared at her. “I’ll go now.”

Going to the kitchen, Asher turned back, observing her as he entered the kitchen.

It was a mistake... She didn’t know why she just said those words.

Lilah dropped her hand on the table and chewed on her lower lip. ‘He made it look as if I wanted to eat on the same plate as him. How annoying?’

Lilah swallowed down the burning sensation in her chest, exhaling tiredly. Placing a hand on her belly.

Lilah gathered a heap of clothes for the laundry room. Asher was in his study when he felt her presence. He could she her separating the white clothes from the coloured ones.

‘She had just finished taken her bath, now, washing clothes? That’s not right!’ Asher pulled out if his executive chair and hurried to the laundry room. She was about to press the one button when a hand stopped her.

Lilah turned to see Asher beside her. His presence startled her.

“You should not be doing this. Not when you’re pregnant, okay?” He pressed the one button himself. “Where’s Suzanne?”

“She’s washing the toilets. And I can’t give her these to wash. They are my clothes.”

“It doesn’t matter. I would wash them for you...”

“You are an Alpha, not an ordinary man, so please. Stop doing these.”

“Doing what?” Asher pulled closer with a frown as they locked glances.

“Stop making me feel guilty than I already am.” her voice begged.

“Stop feeling guilty, Lilah. You are pregnant with our child. And I care. Please, avoid any chores which require you to bend. Pregnancy weight gain can cause a marginal shift in the body’s centre of gravity, and bending during this time can be risky. You should know this.” Asher pointed out.

Lilah looked away, placing a hand on her forehead.

“Let me do the laundry. You can go inside and do something else. Okay?”

She replied him with a tight-lipped smile. "Thank you.”

“It’s okay.”

She smiled while walking back to the bedroom. After doing the laundry, Asher cleaned up the laundry room and dried her clothes. Suzanne, their maid, pressed the clothes before arranging it into her wardrobe.