Impassioned Hearts

The black mini-shift dress on Lilah exposed her long legs as she stepped out of the hotel room alongside Conan. He was in his shiny black suit, as usual. Seeing them together, one would think they came for a business meeting. Stepping into the empty elevator, Lilah fondled with her blue-black hair, that was pinned up in a pretty hairdo.

Standing right next to him, Lilah looked away. As if they didn’t spend the night in the same room. She was still shocked because he meant what he said. He wasn’t giving up. Trying to mind-link with her now is impossible. Conan knew Lilah’s emotions were intensified, and he wanted to know what was playing in her mind. She’d built up a wall to block the bond they once shared. The elevator dinged open as they stepped in. It was a gentle ride to the last floor.

Conan stood a foot taller than her as they made their way to one of the empty tables. Lilah stole a glance at him as they finally had their seats opposite each other. Reading the menu on the table, his back slumped lower and his gaze focused on it. The erratic mane of hair that graced Conan’s head fell into his face. Occasionally, he tightened his lips as if wanting to speak but his hand rose to tug his curly jet-black hair away from his face.

He looked around, and a server walked towards them. Conan tugged, and she noted.

He pointed to something, and the server noted it down. He took Lilah’s order and walked out of their presence.

“Do I make you uncomfortable?” He asked, finally staring at her.

“No. It’s not that. It’s not you.”

“Then what is it? Why the sudden silence?”

“I just think we should take things slow. I’m still legally married to Asher, remember?”

“I haven’t forgotten.” He reminded her, and the server brought a serving trolley of full, seasoned chicken and shrimp.

Placing it in front of Conan and then a plate of Rib-Eye steak for Lilah. Then a bottle of sparkling wine for both of them with two wine cups. Her mouth watered as she glanced through. It scented yummy as the fleshy fragrance filled the air.

The server walked to the next table after serving. Conan stared at the plate before him. The heap of Cajun-seasoned chicken and blackened shrimp in garlic butter, which was served on a sizzling cast-iron platter along with sauteed mushrooms, onions, and crispy red potatoes, made him take a bite.

“Hmm...” He chewed on the savoury taste. “This is superb.”

“Yeah, it’s appetizing.” Lilah agreed as they silently ate. She looked at him and realized that he was already staring at her. A small smile flickered on her lips as they ate on.

Conan placed a gentle hand on Lilah's, slightly stroking his left thumb against her soft hand.

Just then, she raised her gaze and saw Asher. They were still married, legally. And she just spent the night with Conan.

‘Would he know? Would he get angry?’ Lilah’s mind played different thoughts in seconds.

Swallowing on her throat almost made her choke. Lilah realized Asher was there at the table she clung to for stability. He shook hands with a Chinese man, and they exchanged pleasantries. Lilah quickly recognized that he must be a business partner.

Stuck and stunned, Asher turned to her in the same manner, but he looked away immediately. As they ventured to a table close to where Lilah was seated.

Conan studied her changed expression, giving a carefree look at Asher. Lilah suddenly jerked her hand off his touch.

“Are you okay?” Conan asked, with a concerned laced voice. “You’re sweaty.”