Conan's Final Decision

Standing outside the Jordan’s mansion, one could feel how heated their argument was getting.

“This is impossible! Is she the only girl in this city? What’s so special about Lilah?! Marrying a human is better than marrying that wolf-blood slut! That bitch! How can you? How can you bring such shame to this household? They will forever mock our lineage if you marry Lilah! I will not bless your marriage with her.”

“But she’s my mate, and I still love her.” Exasperation edged into Conan’s words as he begged.

“How can you live with someone so stupid? A girl that left you for another man. Just in case you haven’t realized, Lilah is not your mate! She’s a deceiver.” A sigh seeped from Selene. “How many times have you heard that a werewolf sleeps with someone else’s mate, let alone marries them?!”

“Mother, it doesn’t matter. It doesn’t matter. I still love Lilah and I’m going to wed her.” Conan stormed out of his room. Selene rushed after him. Blocking him from leaving with her lightning speed.

“What doesn’t matter? She willingly got pregnant with the Alpha and you say it doesn’t matter? Wasn’t that enough insult to us and our family?”

“Come on, that marriage was forced. The pregnancy was a mistake. It was not her intensions.”

Selene pulled her lips out and downwards to how senseless his words were. A roll of anger tensed in her muscles. It doesn’t add up to her. She was disappointed at how weak Conan had become.

“What about when she lived with him?”

“Lilah assured me that nothing happened between them. They slept in separate rooms and avoided each other. You know Lilah would never lie to me.” He ushered her towards the door.

“She would never lie to you, but she lied. Everything was fine. You heard about her relationship with her sister’s mate and the child she carried for him. Don’t that concern you? What if she goes behind your back again? Did she charm you? You must be mind-swapped!”

“No, mum. Stop talking about her like that. Lilah didn’t charm me. She’s a pure wolf. My strong woman... My own chosen mate.” His words came out as a plea for understanding.

“Shush?!” Selene interrupted, with gritted teeth. “Just shut up your mouth!”

Conan watched his mum, dumbfounded at how much she hated her already.

“How can you say that a girl that visited a man in his own house and slept with him is a pure wolf? Don’t say I didn’t warn you when she disappoints you again!”

“Enough!” he breathed in a low voice, trying not to be rude. “I know where you’re coming from, but what is important is that I still love her. In fact, I love her more now than before.” Conan pointed out to his mother.

Selene rolled her eyes and squeezed her mouth at him, disgusted by his words.

“Let me ask you then, what is love? What kind of stupid love is this, Conan? This is complete madness, if you don’t know. Lilah wronged you. Shouldn’t you be angry and hate her for that? Do you lick that girl’s ass by burying up what happened? The werepack would throw us out of this territory if you marry her, don’t you see? Lilah is bad luck and you’re welcoming her with open arms. Whether you like it, I will not accept that prostitute as my daughter-in-law. If you really want to marry, there are decent girls I can hook you up with! The tall ones, the slim ones. The curvy and pretty ones with moral character. Well-mannered girls that you can bring in. Not the one that you will marry today and leave tomorrow. Not in my household! That is all I have to say!” Selene completed.

“No, mother! You can’t choose who I marry for me. I’m no longer a baby. I’m sure father would have given a go ahead if he was alive. I’m still not changing my mind. Okay, fine. If this is how you’re going to sound, I’ll follow my heart. Leave this country and never come back.”

“What? You’ll leave me...” Selene stuttered speechlessly as her jaws dropped. She stared at Conan in shock.

“And I’m not changing my mind!” He concluded and stormed out. Then he left, slamming the door to her face and hurried into his jeep before zooming off.

“Conan! Come back here!! You’re leaving your home and your birthright because of a woman?!” The frustration permeated her echoing voice. Then she noticed he wasn’t even there.

And just now, Selene saw her son. The new Conan. It was disheartening, knowing he wouldn’t listen to her words, wailing, and warnings. Not even when he has everything to lose.

“Dad. I want us to return my wedding gifts to Conan.” Lilah started, and her parents’ eyes disappointedly fell to the ground. Disheartened. “Because Conan wants to marry me.” She completed her statement, and Benita hissed at it. Raising her gaze at Lilah.

“Conan wants to marry you?”

“How many months ago did you leave your husband’s house?” Rafael cut in. “That you’re now talking about marrying Conan?”

He exhaled, glaring at her.

“Let me get something here. Were you still dating Conan when you were in your husband’s house?”

Lilah startled at her parent’s thought.

“No, dad!”

“Then explain further. I don’t understand!” he complained.

“Dad, you know I can’t do a thing like that.” Her thoughts fractured.

“Okay.” Benita interfered. “So when did you and Conan continue your friendship, that he just decided to marry you?”

“Conan and I started seeing each other after I left the Alpha’s house.” Lilah wanted to cling to the fading feelings of Asher, but Conan was pressing back into her brain.

“Lilah.” Benita called. The realization fell from her lips. “Do you think this marriage is the best thing to do now?”

“Hmm...” Rafael hummed without lifting his face, but one could tell how dismayed he was.

“Yes, mum.” She answered.

Rafael’s eyes finally lifted to meet hers. They pulled her into an ocean of curiosity and shyness. Lilah looked at her long fingernails, peeling from it.

“Conan says he loves me. He assured me we would get married this time.” Lilah confirmed.

“Young woman... You’re talking about love. When you talk about love, I don’t like it. Have you bothered to ask what his family members would say about this marriage? What makes you think Asher would want to accept those wedding gifts? You’re still legally married to him. Or do you think marriage is a joke?” A roll of anger tensed his muscles

Lilah’s brain won’t let her mind focus. She took a deep breath to free herself from the mental torture she was sinking in. “No, dad. But I’m ready for whatever comes with Conan.”