This Is Your New Home

It was Monday morning. Lilah woke up early to prepare breakfast. She made salty and savory flavored bacon, French toast and fried eggs. She packed up the food into and wrapped it in a shopping bag for Asher. Knowing he hardly eats at the office. He was about to step out when she perceived his earthy scent and stopped him.

“Hey, Asher.” Lilah stuttered. “I made this for you.”

His black eyes glittered, watching her with a fixed gaze. “You...”

“I figured you would be hungry so...” She stop amidst her words, handling him the bag.

“Thank you.” Asher mumbled, staring at her as if he was surprised. Lilah looked away to avoid his gaze and, with no more words, turned his back to her, leaving.

Lilah smiled, watching him grab his high-quality suitcase before entering his shiny black Mercedes outside.

Tears clouded in her eyes as she peeped through the transparent window. A fulfilling feeling filled her heart, making her smile. He should have been happily married to Asena. Her face was beet red as she blushed. While Asher turned on his car and rolled his wheels out of the gigantic mansion.

At home, Lilah spent her time reading, just to keep herself busy. She hasn’t been able to visit her parents yet, let alone show up at their restaurant. She knew her fate right now, and that they would not welcome her unborn child. The only place safe for her is here, at the Rhys mansion. Lilah hated the fact that her presence would sometimes cause a stir to her in public places. And apart from Conan, she avoided some of the other members of their pack, like Selene Jordan, Conan’s mum and some of his friends.

Meanwhile, Lilah is struggling inside. Literally, nothing brings her joy, and she feels a disconnected sense of herself and boredom to where nothing could get her out of it. Although something pulls her towards Asher, she avoided him in the house like a plague. And most days, Lilah would just lie down and zone out for hours.

Amaya was a renowned lawyer and owned her own firm. She’s always busy with unsettled cases, but she still finds time for her new daughter-in-law. Asher works endlessly at his communication company. Only Suzanne stays at home with Lilah, doing the house chores and attending to her needs.

Sometimes, everything feels like it’s too much, but she hoped to get out of this soon. Days grew into weeks and Lilah’s pregnancy was now eight months old. Walking down the stairs, a cloud of invisible doodling suddenly covered her face. She closed her eyes and hear head felt as light as a feather swimming in an ocean. She leaned on to the stairs handle, clutching her body against it but she stubbled. Lilah suddenly fell out of control.

She placed a hand on her head and the other on her chest, struggling with her breath that thickened. Just then, Asher walked out of the room and caught the sight.

“Lilah!” He rushed to her with a speed of lightning. Concerned. “Are you alright?... What happened?... Please, say something.”

She held him and it felt like she was going to burst into tears the next second. Yet she pulled out of his grip.

“Leave me... alone.”

She stood with both hands on the wall for support. Just then, her wobbling legs trembled, her blue eyes fluttered shut. Lilah's heavy body tripped on the floor and everything instantly went black.

The soft sound of the thud lingered, and Asher turned back to her in unison. Then he rushed to her.

“Lilah!” Asher held her head before it touched the ground. Her eyes were closed, and he clenched her sad face into his bold palms.

“Lilah!” Asher called at her again. A solemn tear rolled out of the corner of her right eye.

Then Asher realised her closed eyes wouldn’t open. She was unconscious.