Interlude III- Rooks And Mariel

AN: Credits to owners of photos used in this chapter.

---------

"Lord Rooks?"
"Hmm?"
"Say, are you free today?"

Several months had passed since he fight the Crescent Moon Viper on school grounds and now his chubbiness was nowhere to be seen. Tied shoulder-length golden hair and domineering bluish eyes. His looks and charming appearance were rivals of that world's princes.

It was a clear day filled with gentle sunlight. A pink long wavy-haired girl wearing her luxurious school uniform was revealed.

 A pink long wavy-haired girl wearing her luxurious school uniform was revealed

Princess Mariel El Alkatross had come to the courtyard to meet him. In the meantime, Rooks Whillistine was reading a book under the usual tree.

"Well, I'm free... but why?"

Due to his efforts, in just a year of studying at the Helgium Academy, he had dramatically improved to the point where he is well-equipped enough for the post of Chancellor to the King.

"You see. I'll be heading down to the castle town today to sightseeing!"
"Castle town..."
"Yeah! So you know, do you wanna come with me?"
"Can I...?"
"Of course! I wouldn't have invited you otherwise."
"I see... Okay. I'm also interested in the castle town, so if it's fine with you, I'd like to go there with you."

He closed the book he was reading and stood up

He closed the book he was reading and stood up. Saying he needed to change clothes, he returned to the castle with attire befitting of the son of a duke.

Mariel decided to wait at the same spot and he returned shortly afterward.

Using the secret path from the secluded part of the academy, the two arrived in the castle town.

It was the first time for the both of them, to go out to leisure in the castle town.

In the town that managed to keep its cheerfulness despite all the deeply-ingrained scars of wars on people's hearts, the pair were taught many things, things that they wouldn't have come to understand if they only stayed in the academy.

In that town filled with meager happiness amidst a cruel world where even wishing for peace was unreasonable, the pair enjoyed themselves to the point that they lost track of time.

Rooks was walking ahead when a handkerchief suddenly slipped out of his pocket. It was something she had given him some time ago.

"Xylma..."

It seemed that he had also noticed that he had dropped it, as he came to a sudden stop, sulked, and turned back in haste.

No, Mariel gave this to me.

Mariel upon hearing the name took the handkerchief she recognizes.

Glad that he treasured something she had given him, she also reached out for it.

His hand and hers arrived at the handkerchief at the same time. Those two hands touched each other lightly.

And as if it was a stroke of fate, Rooks and Mariel simultaneously gazed at each other's faces with eyes full of surprise.

He and she both withdrew their hands and averted the gazes in unison once more.

"L-lord Rooks... S-sorry!"
"...N-no worries... P-princess Mariel..."

Neither he nor she could look the other in the face no matter how hard they tried, as they averted their eyes.

The boy and the girl had realized it.

The fact that they had fallen in love again.

"..."
"..."

"Mariel, you think we should follow her instructions?..."

Waiting for seconds, Princess Mariel faces him and looks straight into his eyes.

"We don't have any choice, don't we?"