Chapter 38- Heather In Chaos

AN: This going to be boring but still I want to add this scenario.

-----

The Heather Kingdom, Duchy of Whillistine, Main Key Port

This time was days ago after Luna met the emissaries and delegations from the far east.

The normally bustling key port of the eastern capital of Helgium was now filled with tension. This includes the port town Mariana where Xylma, Sherhimia, and Poma live before.

The garrison had been attacked just months ago after the imperials left, and the town hall was under occupation.

On the heels of that assault, an armed group coming from the numerous pirate fleets of banners took the port by force, possibly all pirate mercenaries recruited by the two northern empires.

The once busy streets were nearly empty; it was no wonder that smiles had disappeared from the people's faces.

Meanwhile, a royal captain had acted on Archduke Whillistine's orders and taken the bare minimum number of men to fight the forces both at city hall and the port.

The armed group at the port were dressed in military uniforms-the kind imperial soldiers wore.

The very situation his superior and the others feared was unfolding before the captain's eyes. Even though he had anticipated this, a part of him still couldn't believe that it was happening again in such a short time. Furthermore, where are the famous golden fleets last time?

Cold sweat dripped down his back in the tense atmosphere.

What the hell are the archduke and his son doing right now! Don't tell me they prioritize royals over their people!

He thought.

The enemy had mobilized as the sun rose, trying to invade the town.

The royal captain worked with the garrison to deal with these attacks and keep them under control. Since the eastern towns had been founded long ago, most of the roads were very narrow and winding, which gave him an advantage; it limited the number of enemy soldiers that could enter from any point at a given time.

The royal captain used the layout of the city as he deployed his men, focusing on protecting the citizens. That didn't change the fact that the situation was growing worse and worse.

"Captain! The first company's total wounded soldiers have surpassed one-third!"
"Withdraw the first company and send the second company to the front line, never let our supporting mages be exposed. Trade out quickly so the enemy won't have a chance to strike."

The captain spoke in his usual light tone, but deep within, he was fraught with anxiety and apprehension. Even though few soldiers were gravely wounded, as time wore on, more and more got hurt.

Most of all, everyone was increasingly fatigued.

Only a handful had ever seen a real battle before this, so their nerves exacerbated that fatigue. The main thought going through his mind was that at this rate, they wouldn't last more than a few more days-though he didn't dare say it aloud.

If the enemy broke through their line of defense, they could easily reach the duchy's capital. And here, they had neither the armaments nor the structural advantage needed to withstand an invasion.

Most of all, the archduke and his son, including the foreign princess residing here, would be devastated if anything happened to the citizens. this captain couldn't let that happen and compromising his princess' safety was no option.

He scratched his head as he looked around. He wanted to escape this dead-end situation and his negative thoughts. Just then, a group of men caught his eye. They were carrying wounded soldiers to medical treatment.