Chapter 48 - Unprecented Crisis Beyond

Anna Montes grumbled, her irritation palpable, as she dropped her phone after the sudden call and returned to the room where Cardo and Xylma were engaged in casual conversation. Their chatter ceased abruptly when Anna walked in.

“I wish to talk more about what happened before and the Legion of Four, Senior Anna…” Xylma began.

“We don’t have time for you to dawdle here. Put on a formal suit and accompany me to the Black Agila Main Headquarters right now,” Anna interrupted Xylma without missing a beat.

“What do you mean by ‘formal suit’?” Xylma inquired, confused.

“You’re now a junior Black Agila agent-in-training, and it’s rare for an agent to have such a prestigious background. I’ve already asked the agent maid to bring over your formal suit, so change into it and come with me to the headquarters.”

“I’ll be waiting for you at the entrance. You better hurry. It's a serious offense to arrive late to the meeting, especially on your first day. Miss President has specifically requested your presence as part of your training,” Anna stated firmly before glancing at Cardo, conveying a message. Cardo nodded in understanding and left the room in silence.

“Of course not, Senior Anna. I’ll get ready immediately!” Xylma hurriedly changed into the formal suit, a perfectly tailored black outfit with white lining. Although it made her feel a bit uncomfortable as it was men’s wear, she styled her hair into a ponytail and put on the accompanying glasses. Despite the discomfort, she couldn’t help but feel a surge of confidence in the professional attire. The suit highlighted her womanly features while exuding an air of authority.

Xylma bid farewell to Cardo, who walked her to the corridor and then rushed to the building’s entrance. She was now allowed to ride the Black Agila car, a vehicle so advanced and secure that not even a nuclear bomb could harm its occupants. Alongside the old yet refined driver wearing white gloves, and a retired agent, they proceeded through the avenue with grandeur and elegance, stopping in front of the Black Agila Academy.

The Black Agila Main Headquarters was an imposing structure, complete with numerous buildings and terraces. A long bridge led to the central main hall, passing over a massive garden teeming with colorful butterflies. Faceless humanoid robots maintained the place, which slightly unnerved Xylma. The grandeur of the headquarters exceeded her expectations, giving off an air of regality and opulence.

Walking beside Anna, Xylma entered the headquarters, feeling a mix of awe and curiosity. The interiors were a combination of modernity and elegance, with black material accentuated by light blue and pure white walls. Cleaning autonomous robots glided along the corridors, and red carpets adorned the floors.

Although Xylma wasn’t qualified to enter the headquarters, being a recent Black Agila agent, she accompanied Anna as her direct subordinate. She felt nervous but maintained her composure. Anna’s teasing banter, though embarrassing, helped ease her tension.

Xylma found herself in a massive corridor hall that led to the main hall, an awe-inspiring space that felt like a world of its own. She resisted the urge to act like an inexperienced newcomer and held her head high. Despite her young age, she commanded respect, which was evident in the way older agents observed her keenly.

Surprisingly, Cardo guided Xylma to a seat in the back row, meant for low-ranking agents. Although she was the newest member, being Anna’s agent placed her among her peers and other important individuals. The main hall had an elevated platform with five throne-like seats, each with Roman numerals imprinted on black cushions from 0th to 5th. Anna stood at the forefront of the lower strata agents on the left, and the Top Head, along with other officials, sat closely behind her.

The three seven-star generals, also known as the tripartite commanders, and high-ranked Black Agila agents, including veterans yet to graduate, sat on the right side. The President’s trusted agents and a few others, like those in maid uniforms, occupied the seats near them. Xylma observed the organized seating arrangement, feeling the weight of her responsibilities.

The room fell silent as President Luna and three other members of the Legion of Four entered. Xylma’s eyes widened in confusion when she realized the fourth member, Warhead, was absent. The agents maintained their composure, bowing respectfully as the four passed.

After ensuring all agents were present, President Luna asked in a worried yet authoritative tone that resonated throughout the room, “I received a message from him that he was here today. Where is Warhead?” The tension in the room intensified as the question hung in the air.

Homer, the trusted butler known to everyone, approached the President with grace and leaned in. “Eduardo Rizal isn’t holding a meeting today. He seized the opportune moment to determine the whereabouts of the remaining NPA-ONE terrorists in his cyberspace scraping, Miss President,” he reported. Homer, a highly respected high-ranked agent butler, bowed and bent his knee in reverence.

“Is it time, then...” The President's voice sounded melancholic as it resonated throughout the room. “Well, then. How about we begin today’s meeting by hearing a concise explanation, X1 series?” President Luna turned her gaze towards the elite among the elite, thirteen agents on the right known as the X1 series due to their remarkable achievements.

“Your Excellency, Miss President!” X1X12 Agent Mosquito kneeled and raised his head with determination as he delivered an urgent report to address the issue at hand.

“X1X12 reporting, that a group of demons in the southern continent of Austrona, similar to Iclylic’s vanished demons in degree, has dispatched an army of monsters led by demons to the Britannica Empire. The barriers separating humans and demons have been destroyed! According to intelligence sources, an estimated tens of millions have died due to the onslaught, which amounts to 95% of the total empire population! It's only a matter of time before the entire empire, as vast as ours, collapses! They are…” He paused, his voice faltering.

Gone…

The shock in the room was evident. Their faces displayed not just shock, but genuine worry. They weren’t dealing with humans; they were up against powerful demons straight out of fiction books, impervious to conventional weapons from the 2000s.

The people in the room stared at the holographic projection hovering in the air, showing statistics and relevant evidence detailing the state of the Britannica Empire. Although they had experienced wiping out demons in Iclylic before, the staggering numbers this time, tens of millions of deaths and over 500,000 monsters alongside 25,000 demons, were overwhelming. Reports indicated that the actual numbers could be triple what they had estimated.

In a trembling but firm voice, X1X12 continued, “Fortunately, the nearby Holy Empire of Saint Elhias has provided protection to the remaining population of Britannica. They’ve erected national-size barriers all over the place, but the Britannica Empire is completely destroyed. There are no living humans in sight, as confirmed by the drones we sent. As for the concern about unimaginable demons in their ranks, yes, it appears the rumored ascendance of a demon king…” He trailed off, his voice fading.

The agents' discussion grew more intense upon hearing this news. The 12th agent of the X1 series trembled slightly, a reaction that did not go unnoticed. After all, he was human. Though he had firsthand experience killing strong high demons, facing such overwhelming numbers was a different matter. Anna, who had long lost her vigor, felt a pang of helplessness.

Although they had trained their agents to withstand mental disruptions and attacks, human instincts still kicked in. These weren’t fellow humans; these were demons straight out of biblical Hell. Nevertheless, losing their heads in fear would only erode trust. Anna sighed internally, recognizing the challenge before them.

“The demons…” Anna whispered weakly as hushed conversations filled the room. The top brass remained silent, absorbing the gravity of the situation.

AN:  Its been eight months since the last update.