Chapter 43- Xylma Adventure Part 1

After Xylma left the two in confusion, Mariel clenched her chest. Being an exiled princess from the Alkatross Kingdom, she doesn't know if she can propel things up the way there are before the church overtook her kingdom and up until now, she denies what she heard— her parents were publicly executed when Rooks' trusted spy reported them the affairs of Alkatross.

Although both she and Rooks happily spend time together to mitigate her emotional surges, she found a tiny hope in Xylma's eyes and words, Xylma might be convicted for associating with a criminal but Xylma is brimming with full confidence.

While listening to Rooks, she recalled Xylma and their time together as seatmates and best friends at the Helgium Academy.

“In other words, the mastermind knows the internal affairs of this country and used that as an advantage to control us. At the same time, she’s laying the groundwork for a smooth transition including the current succession of my family, we know who is the mastermind for all of this… I must admit we have no other choice.“

Rooks knew well from the beginning that Luna takes advantage of their situation and whatever her underlying intentions be, she was still the winner and free.

Beforehand, he conclude Professor Luna was beyond what he is known and the reason was she intervene in the politics within the region.

No prominent assassin bothered such a thing unless they are agents/spies from another country and continent. Xylma too was Luna's subordinate and one of the most prominent elite sorcerers of the academy so it means someone powerful behind the strings.

Rooks found on reports that the Headmaster of the Academy was bribed with money and let Xylma to enrolled in the academy while Luna become a professor and disregarded mandatory deep background checks.

Also, the news and rumors about the massive massacre in the underground guild, Sengreneia— were focused all on him being the one who wipe out the parasites of the kingdom.

She's too dirty, he thought yet both he and Mariel understand the future of both kingdoms if not her.

Despite himself, he doesn't want himself to be swayed by his ego— to not agree with whatever it is.

Rooks admired the white woman's strategy, her superior aura during his meeting her at the grounds, and the ingenuity of her plans.

The fact that this was coming from a famous assassin made it all the more frightening.

He didn’t know how she’d respond when he and Mariel took control of their respective kingdoms one day—but if he and Mariel played along in her hands, a powerful country was probably behind all this.

Well, he did have one concern.

…Is this their goal or beyond that?

She handed these plans when she saw an advantage on Rooks and Mariel. But she must have seen this coming, seeing that everything was going according to her plan.

Was it some sort of setup on the intercontinental stage?

Perhaps an investment of a demon under the skin of an angel?

Rooks contemplated.

I left nothing to chance. I crushed every gap and loophole. It’d be impossible to fall into a trap… I’m sure of it. But there was still a lingering sense of what-if.

Professor Luna aka Crescent Moon Viper might possess more knowledge and networks than they’d imagined.

I hate to admit it… But I can’t deny she’s very cunning and… a monster… capable of magic without using mana.