Chapter 1- Dowry Escort

Qi Yunruo sat in bed dressed in green, the firecrackers outside suddenly increasing in volume. His head rested on the edge of the bed, long lashes casting shadows upon his cheeks.

There were no servants left in the house. Today was the wedding of Count Ziyang estate's sole legitimate daughter. Earlier, an older female servant had called for two of the low-ranking servant girls to help outside. Not long after, Cuìyu, the mistress' personal maidservant, knocked on Qi Yunruo's door. On her face was a trace of happiness courtesy of the joyous occasion, but when speaking to him her tone was neither warm nor cold. "The mistress calls for Third Young Master to go to eldest miss' courtyard."

Raising his head to glance at her, Qi Yunruo nodded. "Understood."

Although the eldest miss' East Courtyard was not especially large, Count Ziyang and his main wife had doted on their daughter since childhood. Currently, her courtyard was the picture of festivity, red silk draping from every surface, charming and exquisite throughout. Count Ziyang waited outside of his beloved daughter's room. It was inevitable he would come visit her as the time for the wedding drew near. As such, he happened to meet Qi Yunruo.

"Master," said Cuiyu as soon as she laid eyes on him. "Mistress has called for Third Young Master to come over."

As Qi Yunruo attempted to kowtow to the door, Cuiyu quickly held him up and frowned. "Careful of wrinkling your clothes, Third Young Master."

Distracted, he reacted just in time to change his course, and quickly made his way before the mistress. He saluted.

The eldest miss, Qi Niqun, appeared in tears, leaning on the countess without a sound. Distracted, she did not look at anyone. The countess, maiden name Zhao, caressed her hand, a soft sigh escaping her lips. Then without turning to Qi Yunruo, she said, "You've been called because I have some orders for you."

"What are the mistress' orders?" His voice was soft. Light.

"I've told you this before, but Prince Chun's estate already has two secondary consorts. There's also a few lower-ranked concubines. The harem isn't small. Although your elder sister Niqun has a noble birth, the prince already has an eldest son... You must always remember that your elder sister is also your master. Always be alert and protect her. Do not imitate those vixens and their vulgar behavior."

From Qi Yunruo's mouth came one word. "Understood."

"As a person coming from my household, your status will not be low. Not only that, you're the younger brother of the princess consort. No one will bully you," said the countess. "In fact, your situation right now is better than if you marry a girl from a small family in the future, once our household splits. Your birth mother had passed on early. The count and I will not treat you poorly. Once you're older, you'll be able to leave the prince estate, and both the prince estate and ours will compensate you with shares. If you're lucky, wouldn't serving the prince be better than a few years of hard study?"

Although Qi Yunruo listened, he did not respond.

The countess had said these words several times before. As Qi Yunruo listened distractedly, she sent him out and continued to comfort her daughter.

A red veil had already covered Qi Niqun's face, her makeup perfectly applied and her attire masterfully adjusted. After observing it from multiple angles, Countess Ziyang decided there was nothing wrong with her daughter's appearance. "Once you step foot into the prince estate, there will be no one around to help you. The people there won't be ordinary. I've carefully picked the servant girls who will follow you and made sure none of them are too eye-catching. But if you have a sister to accompany you, or more specifically your brother, you'll be more secure. Even if the prince favors him in the future, he will never be able to give birth to a child. No matter what, his status will not threaten yours."