Chapter 61.2

Come noon, Yan'er's condition improved a little. She could now speak. Until now, Li Chen had sat by her bedside. When Yan'er opened her eyes and saw him, light laughter spilled from her lips. "Father."    

"Mm, Father is here." Li Chen stroked her head.  

Eyes bright, Yan'er observed him. Li Chen gently asked, "Do you still feel unwell?"  

Yan'er nodded.  

"Sleep for a bit more. Once you wake up, it won't hurt as much anymore."  

Yan'er first nodded again, then furrowed her brows. "But will Father still be here?"

A smile spread across Li Chen's. "This is Father's residence. Father will be here all along."  

At last, Yan'er felt reassured. Holding Li Chen's hand with her tiny own, she fell asleep again.  

At this moment, Qi Yunruo was in western wing in a daze, lying in bed with a cold handkerchief pressed against his cheek. His face was swollen from the slap, and as such, it wasn't a good idea for him to go outside. His emotions were in a mess. Qi Niqun... had practically gone insane, unable to distinguish between right and wrong.... However, when it was all said and done, she was the prince's legitimate wife. As such, Qi Yunruo could not look on helplessly as the prince beat his own wife. If this matter were leaked to the public, who knew how many people would attack the prince because of this? One would fear that even the emperor would be unhappy to the extreme.  

Qi Yunruo lay down in bed for a while, when someone pushed the door open and stepped foot inside the room. He heard light footsteps. Smiled in a bitter manner. "Jing'er, you've come."   

Jing'er rested his upper body on the bedside. From this angle, he could not see the swollen and red side of Qi Yunruo's face. "What happened today? I heard a loud noise in my wing, but the older female servants won't let me come over."  

After a moment of silence, Qi Yunruo said, "Your eldest little sister fell ill, so your father was a bit anxious. Nothing serious happened, so you don't have to worry."  

"Younger sister is sick?" Jing'er actually did not know it was Yan'er who was sick. However, he was still worried for his sisters. "Do people have to drink bitter medicine when they are sick?"  

Qi Yunruo nodded. "Yes."

Jing'er sighed, copying adults well in that action. "That truly isn't good."  

This action brought a smile to Qi Yunruo's lips. Jing'er said, "Where is Father?"  

"Your father is still anxious. You shouldn't go over yet to see your sister. Once she is better, I will take you there. Return to your room for now."  

"That's fine too," said Jing'er in a childish voice. "Once Younger Sister is better, I'll play with her."  

However, before Jing'er left, Li Chen entered the room. Jing'er saluted and said, "Father."   

Li Chen nodded. "Go outside first."  

"Okay."  

Li Chen walked to the front of Qi Yunruo's bed, the latter sitting up. Li Chen looked at his face, and somewhat heartbroken, he reached out. Lightly touched his cheek.  

Qi Yunruo smiled. "Your Highness, I'm fine. It doesn't hurt at all."  

"I'm sorry, Little Qi."  

After a moment in a daze, Qi Yunruo said, "Your Highness, this has nothing to do with you or Princess Consort. Princess Consort was just angry."  

As Li Chen listened to him try to absolve Qi Niqun, he understood Little Qi's thoughts. After all, Little Qi did not hope for his and his wife's relationship to sour even more. For he feared that this may affect Li Chen's reputation. A sigh left his lips. "I'm angry at myself. It's true that Qi Niqun did not take care of Yan'er well. But me? When have I ever worried about Yan'er? I thought that if she was at Princess Consort's side, it would be fine since her residence is the best in the inner courtyard. And it has the most servants. This way, Yan'er would receive the best care. I never worried about her. If I had worried about her the slightest bit, those servants would not have dared to merely pay lip service without doing anything. They would not have dared to treat their master like this."