Chapter 65.1- Half a Year

Li Chen sat by the lakeside, fishing. A short while later, he caught a carp.  

Holding a booklet with red characters traced on it., Qi Yunruo rushed over. He lowered his head, looking at the characters. “Jing’er has finished practicing his characters. Does your honored self want to see?”  

Li Chen grunted in acknowledgement. Then Qi Yunruo crouched down so that he could take a look. Jing’er had just started his studies, and Li Chen had personally chosen the booklet of red-traced characters. Li Chen looked at the crooked and twisting characters. Lightly laughed. “It’s better than the last two times.”   

He threw the fish he had caught back into the lake, before standing. Patted his hands. “Let’s return. I think it’s going to grow colder soon.”  

Qi Yunruo followed behind Li Chen. He said, “Today, Mistress Ji came to visit Consort Ji again. Your Highness, recently, Consort Ji said she wanted to see Jing’er. It will be Jing’er’s fifth birthday very soon. She wants him to stay at Frost Autumn Courtyard for a few days.”  

Li Chen frowned. “Jing’er has already started his studies. Why should he go back to the inner courtyard?” A moment later, he said, “What day is today?”  

“In a few days, it will be November. Compared to other years, it has taken longer this year for the cold to arrive.”  

“November… So it has already been half a year.” Li Chen smiled. “Half a year.”  

“Your Highness?” asked Qi Yunruo, looking at him curiously.  

Li Chen said, “In a few days, Jing’er’s birthday will arrive. We need to grandly celebrate. Little Qi, send out invitation cards to every estate.”  

“Alright.”  

Two months ago, Princess Consort Jing gave birth to a legitimate son. Prince Jing was overjoyed. On the baby’s one month birthday, he invited the imperial clan members and the important ministers within the capital, wishing to announce it to the world. Smiling, Qi Yunruo looked at Li Chen. Li Chen said, “You think I want to compete with Prince Jing, right?”  

A bit embarrassed, Qi Yunruo replied, “I noticed that your honored self usually does things in a very subdued way. Even when it was your birthday, you only had a meal in the prince estate.”  

It was still morning and winter had just arrived. There was still a lot of sunlight at this time. Li Chen said, “You’ll understand in a few days.”  

Puzzled, Qi Yunruo returned to Ink Lotus Coutyard to play with Jing’er and Yan’er.  

Actually, it didn’t take as long as a few days. On merely the next day, the palace sent someone to pass on an imperial decree in a grandiose manner. Wearing his official robes, Qi Yunruo kneeled behind Li Chen, listening to what the messenger court eunuch read aloud. The emperor conferred Prince Chun the positions of Head of the Office of Transmission and Head of the Court of State Ceremonial. Not only that, he must also take care of all foreign matters.    

Li Chen kneeled in thanks and received the imperial decree. The court eunuch who had come to pass on the decree smiled as beautiful as a flower. He bowed to Li Chen and said, “This slave congratulates Your Highness Prince Chun.”  

A smile spread across Li Chen’s lips. He turned to glance at Qi Yunruo. Qi Yunruo took a step forward and said, “May Gongong come this way for some tea.” Then, he gave him a pouch of money,  

The messenger court eunuch understood intuitively, but politely said, “This was originally this slave’s duty. Sir Qi is too polite.”  

Qi Yunruo smiled, then called for servants to escort him to a side room.