Chapter 65.2

When Li Chen returned to the estate, Qi Yunruo was just about to instruct people to ask for the full register of officials from the Office of Transmission and the Court of State Ceremonial. Li Chen asked, “Why are you asking for that?”    

“I thought since your honored self will be on duty very soon, it would be good to form connections with your new staff during Jing’er’s birthday celebration. So after I get the register of names, I will send each of them an invitation card.”   

Li Chen smiled and shook his head. “You don’t need to do this. I can just ask the Ministry of Personnel for the register.”  

Qi Yunruo nodded. “I also wanted you to learn your subordinates’ moral quality and innate character.”  

“You’ll be able to tell how a person is after just one banquet?”  

“I can tell from their congratulatory gift,” said Qi Yunruo, as if it were common sense. “If they bring a lot of treasures, then it’s possible they want to curry favor with your honored self. And this person would probably be no good at their job. Those who bring simple but carefully thought out items for Jing’er are definitely thoughtful in their work.”  

Li Chen shook his head. “If a person is a competent official who is born from an influential and wealthy family, or from a family that is adept at engaging in business, making the person capable of buying expensive things, then what’s to be done?”  

At those words, Qi Yunruo was speechless, lowering his head in a somewhat ashamed manner. Li Chen smiled, stroking his head. “There are very few people who can tell someone’s moral quality and innate character from a single glance. If you’re able to think of it, others could as well.”

“…Mm, I understand.”  

After their meal, Qi Yunruo asked, “What did the emperor say to you today when you entered the palace?”  

“Hm?”  

“I’m talking about the case regarding the northwest. If those two princes are unsuccessful, would the emperor send you there?” Qi Yunruo was a little worried.  

Laughter spilled from Li Chen’s lips. “The emperor already assigned me official positions in the capital. He won’t have me leave the capital again.”  

“Then what’s to be done with the Western Owl and Seeking Eye tribes?”  

Li Chen’s smile dimmed. “Like what I’ve said from the beginning. One word: kill.”  

Qi Yunruo’s brows furrowed a shade.

Li Chen said, “These two tribes sent many assassins to kill the officials of Suzhou and the officials the court sent there to manage the affairs. Prince Qing is scared that investigating thoroughly would upset those two tribes. But because of this, more terrible things happened. Prince Qing merely increased their defenses after each time the assassins struck. He does not have the strength to suppress them. The court academicians that were brought to Suzhou could only hide in their tents, scared witless that someone would try to assassinate them.”  

Qi Yunruo nodded.  

“Now, Zhao Weidou’s supervision of the restructuring of the Qiang’s laws is almost complete. I asked Imperial Father to send out an imperial decree. One that had Zhao Weidou allocate a portion of his army to Suzhou; he must strike fear into the hearts of those tribes. Not only that, he must not worry that they would counterattack should we use our military might… The dispatched court academicians must teach the young up. Establish all levels of schooling. The Qiang children, who have been learning how to shoot an arrow and ride a horse since young, must stay indoors and study and learn the poems and paintings of the Han. The court academicians must not keep trying to teach those tribe chiefs that fundamentally cannot be taught.”