Chapter 50.2

The soldiers without enough contributions to enter the palace and participate in the banquet would return home and reunite with their families. However, Qi Yunruo did not return to Prince Chun’s estate. Rather, he decided to explore the capital since it was such a fine day.    

While the civilians had greeted Prince Chun and his men as they had returned to the capital, Qi Yunruo stood at the side of the road, watching them from not too far away. After Prince Chun’s chariot passed by, Qi Yunruo looked at the civilians who were helping each other off the ground, expression tainted with worry. Today, the temple fair of the fifteenth of the month was being held. Qi Yunruo fell into his thoughts, following the crowd all the way to just outside the Guanyin temple.  

Young ladies of the boudoir walked around in groups. Elegant young men held folding fans in their hands, graceful in appearance. Roadside vendors and peddlers all called out the names of their products. Married women selected joss stick candles at the roadside. There were also old women with heads full of white hair, trembling as they told their family members to support them to the Guanyin temple, sincerely wanting to pray.  

There were many people walking along the bridge and not many carriages or regular sedans. Qi Yunruo also saw many lightweight sedans lifted by two people, squeezing through the crowd. The porters kept saying “excuse me, excuse me.” Some people rudely said to others around them, “Today is the fifteenth of the second month. Do you think there’s not enough people?”  

Although Qi Yunruo had lived in the capital for sixteen years, never had he the chance to experience this kind of scene. The social relationships of the marketplace. The turmoil of the world. A bustling atmosphere drifted through the air, yet made people feel a serene lingering charm. So the capital is this big and there are this many people. The capital is very interesting.

Qi Yunruo couldn’t help but smile. He entered the temple. In the courtyard, there was a Buddhist monk who explained the inscribed bamboo sticks. There was a booth that sold blessed lucky items. Qi Yunruo entered the main hall. However, he did not kneel to pray. Rather, he placed two silver pieces into the donation box. A married woman who was kneeling in prayer glanced at him.

Qi Yunruo met her gaze. In a flash, he felt slightly odd. This woman was in her forties, wearing a dark yellow loose coat. She wore a long sash around her waist, a sapphire dangling from it. And a full set of Flowing Clouds Diancui jewelry. Because Qi Yunruo used to manage the ledger for Prince Chun’s estate, just one glance and he could tell that everything this woman wore was expensive. Just her Diancui jewelry would cost hundreds of silver ingots. However, this woman seemed very subdued. The little servant girl by her side was ugly and petite. A look, and it was clear she did not work for a renowned family. The makeup of the woman was also too garish. Even the members of a merchant family wouldn’t draw such thin brows or apply such bright red lipstick. However, she actually looked good. Attitude calm. Refined and beautiful.  

Qi Yunruo blinked. Realized that, other than that servant girl, there was no one else around that woman. The other women would rather wait from afar for her to finish than use the praying mats near her.

The ugly servant girl supported the woman to her feet, and the woman smiled as she looked at Qi Yunruo. For some reason, Qi Yunruo found her amiable and smiled as well.

But the next moment, after Qi Yunruo had heard someone softly say “Fengya House’s Madame,” his whole body went stiff.

Li Chen rested his body on Empress Dowager Lan’s knees. She said in a soft voice, “Yao’er is a decisive person. Her intelligence is not inferior to yours. No matter where she is, she’ll be able to live well.”