Chapter 16- Drinking Wine from a Flowing River

Mistress Ji was born from a literary family. In the past, her father was rank one in the imperial exams. Later on, he became the Imperial Censorate Deputy. He was currently the Grand Secretary of Hanlin Academy. Among the literary crowd, he stood clear and bright, a righteous individual. Mistress Wei’s husband was the Imperial Academy’s Sacrificial Wine Specialist. Her own birth, however, wasn’t too noble. She had married Sacrificial Wine Specialist Wei before he held this title. After many years, the two still shared a harmonious marriage. There were no concubines in their household.

Compared to the countess, the two other mistresses possessed a lower identity. In the past, they had no connection. For this reason, they courteously greeted each other. The countess said, “The two of you need not be so polite. Please take a seat.”

Mistress Ji smiled. As her gaze fell upon Qi Niqun’s abdomen, she said, “Your Highness, the princess consort, is a fortunate person. I’ve talked to my husband and we agree that Darling Ru is unreasonable. We have spoiled her. Thank goodness that Your Highness is genial, that we can be relieved.”

Mistress Wei’s temperament and demeanor were not as refined as those of Mistress Ji. “Your Highness is a kind mistress of the household.”

Qi Niqun had someone bring the two secondary consorts, so that they could meet their mothers. Once Secondary Consort Ji saw her mother, her eyes held back tears. Mistress Ji sighed lightly. She held her daughter’s hand without saying a word.

However, Mistress Wei did not seem too close to her daughter. Her expression was awkward and she seemed a little stiff.

Shortly after, Consort Ji and Consort Wei paid respects to Qi Niqun and Countess Ziyang. Then Qi Niqun told them to bring their mothers to her residence. They could chat there until the banquet started.

Consort Ji and Mistress Ji left together. Consort Wei also brought Mistress Wei away. Once they were gone, the countess said, “That Consort Wei’s pregnancy…”

“Mother, don’t say that I am petty. But I really wish that for the next few years, the secondary and tertiary consorts would all give birth to daughters. I would dote on them. Then once my son is older…”

The countess patted her hand. “You’ve thought of it well.”

It had been a while since Consort Ji and her mother met face-to-face. Tears glistened in their eyes, bright like jewels. However, when Mistress Ji mentioned Ji Huan, her expression immediately changed. Consort Ji coldly said, “Back then, we tried to subdue his drive. So that he could help me. In the end, the prince liked him a lot. From then on, his future will be boundless!”

Mistress Ji said, “The one I hate is your father. He actually allowed him to take the imperial exams next year.”

“…What about my two younger brothers?”

A sigh escaped Mistress Ji’s lips. “Your father graduated from the Academy and your maternal grandfather had been the number one exam taker in his time. Nowadays, he is the Grand Secretary of Hanlin Academy. Why are those two cheap spawns so terrible with their studies?”

To pacify her mother, Consort Ji said, “My younger brothers are still young. They aren’t sensible yet.”

Mistress Ji sighed. “When Ji Huan was ten years old, he had already been renowned. At fifteen, he took the City Examinations and qualified as a Juren. Your younger brothers couldn’t even pass the Rural Examinations at seventeen and fifteen years old.”

“Mother, have you looked for a matchmaker for my younger brothers?”

“Your father said that men must have their career before marrying. He wants your younger brothers to pass the exams before bringing home their brides… Also, your father said that Ji Huan must get married first.”