Chapter 50.1- Gift

Arc 3: Adjutant Lifting the Dragon Scales

At the Western Mountain Camp, after Li Chen had met with an official from the Ministry of War and handed over the soldiers and military rations, he received an imperial edict sent from Ji Hansong.

The imperial edict ordered Prince Chun to return to the imperial palace the next day. The main gates of the capital would be open and the civil and military officials would come to receive the triumphant army. Furthermore, Prince Chun would be allowed to ride a horse into the palace, and would be bestowed a purple four-claw python robe.

Li Chen’s expression was neutral. Not a trace of emotion could be seen from it. After receiving the imperial edict, he rose to his feet. Smiling, he said, “Thank you for the trouble, Sir Ji.”  

At the start, Ji Hansong had thought the emperor wanted him to deliver the imperial edict to warn the prince. Who would have known that the prince would actually achieve a meritorious deed unmatched in history? The emperor had given him the honor of delivering the decree, so at present, Ji Hansong felt extremely pleased with his position. Bowing with a smile, he said, “How could one dare to use the word ‘trouble’ to describe this? That this humble official could deliver this decree is this humble official’s fortune. Your Highness has worked hard all along. Tonight, this humble official prepared a small feast. Hopefully Your Highness would like it.”  

Li Chen lightly smiled. “There’s no need for that. This prince caught a cold on the way back and cannot eat meat or drink alcohol. Today, it’s fine if Sir Ji and everyone enjoy yourselves to the fullest.”  

Shock collided into Ji Hansong. He feared he had said something wrong. Once again, Li Chen faintly smiled. “Imperial Lecturer Ji achieved a great merit in Xinyuan Country. It’s evident that Sir Ji instructed him well. In the future, after this prince returns to the capital, this prince will invite you and your family to drink a few cups of alcohol at my estate.”  

Ji Hansong rushed to say, “This humble official dares not accept the honor, dares not accept the honor.”  

Meanwhile, Qi Yunruo started to pack up their tent. When Li Chen entered the tent, Qi Yunruo said, curious, “Why is your honored self not attending the feast…?” Li Chen’s countenance didn’t look good. In a flash, his heart dropped. “Was there something bad in His Majesty’s imperial edict? Did His Majesty reprimand you?”    

Li Chen shook his head. Placed the imperial edict onto the bed. Qi Yunruo stole quick glances at it. His forehead gradually wrinkled. In this dynasty, only the imperial clan members whom the emperor approved could wear anything with dragons or pythons on it. The most noble robe those of different surnames and of the duke rank could wear was a qilin robe.

While it’s true that Princes of the First Rank could wear four-clawed dragon robes, typically a four-clawed dragon robe was too honorable, and would be avoided. In these past few decades, normally only the crown prince wore a four-clawed python robe, because the color purple was a color also worn by the emperor. The other imperial clan members would always avoid wearing purple. The emperor’s other gifts, the fact that the civil and military officials would receive him, and the fact that he could ride a horse into the imperial palace perhaps were extremely honorable bestowments. But receiving them all at once was excessively respectable.  

Qi Yunruo looked at Li Chen, whose expression proved natural. Complicated emotions rose in his heart. The prince would have a triumphant return. Was the emperor not happy about it?

“What are you thinking about?” asked Li Chen.  

Qi Yunruo’s worry was evident on his face. Hesitating and voice growing softer with each word, he said, “Could it be that His Majesty worries your honored self’s great merits would threaten him?”