Chapter 39- Cheng Sijie

At the edge of the Yun River, Cheng Sijie barbecued meat, listening to the reports of his spies.

“They’ve advanced into the Qiang territory… That’s a complicated affair. On the contrary, I’ve actually underestimated him.”

Cha He had returned with some people. He was lightly wounded. After the successful “ambush” on Si De, Cha He quickly retreated with his people, watching as Si De left with his troops in a grandiose manner to “provide assistance” to Prince Chun. After that, Cha He and the others concealed their presence, secretly following the Han army. In their hiding spots, he saw Prince Chun capture Si De.  And he realized Si De had been exposed. Later, Li Chen and Zhao Weidu had acted as quick as lightning, counter attacking the troops of Bo Tu Ke. The Qiang soldiers could no longer fend off their strikes, gradually meeting defeat.

Cha He had been hit in the volley of arrows, but his injuries weren’t that serious. He made for Cheng Sijie’s location in a haste and had his injury treated. After he had reported what he knew to Cheng Sijie, he noticed Qi Yunruo. Realization struck him, and he eagerly said, “Your Highness! I understand now! Si De did not guard the secret well. Prince Chun had left Yushu Pass with around 5,000 men. He did not bring a male pet along at that time! It’s this male pet that relayed Si De’s plans to Prince Chun!”

He rose to his feet. Paced back and forth. The more he thought about it, the more certain he became. “A couple of days ago, I saw Li Chen dispatch a group of soldiers to search the area. So they were looking for this male pet!”

Cheng Sijie grunted in acknowledgement and lifted his head.  

“So it’s like this!” said Cha He, without hesitation.

Cheng Sijie turned to look at Qi Yunruo. All of a sudden, he smiled. “We will not return to our country.”  

“Your Highness, are we making for the royal capital of the Qiang?”  

Cheng Sijie propped his chin with a hand. “If the soldiers of the Great State of Kang truly exterminated the Qiang people, it will be the largest disadvantage for us. Our country has a small population and little land. As it is right now, we cannot fight against Yushu Pass. The Qiang people also did not follow my plan and destroy more than half of the army might at Yushu Pass… The Qiang people are the shield that we placed in front of us. Once the shield is gone, we will face danger. To the royal capital of the Qiang!”

Qi Yunruo opened his eyes. Slowly swept his gaze through them. At Li Chen’s study, he had once read a history book regarding the previous dynasty. In the final years of the Great State of Hong, the sons and grandsons of the emperor and the sons of aristocratic and prominent families threw the capital in turmoil. Furthermore, more and more instances of exorbitant taxation occurred. At first, Crown Prince Rui Wen wanted to fix the court and clean up the world. However, Crown Prince Rui was no match for the trap created by the joined forces of those prominent families and his own brothers. The unceasing attacks. And then he met his downfall.

The Great State of Hong did not possess competent generals. As such, Crown Prince Rui Wen donned the armor of a general. He slayed thousands, but was unable to fight against the Qi family’s powerful army. The dynasty fell and a new dynasty rose. Crown Prince Rui Wen chose death by immolation… Such was recorded in the history book. But in reality, Crown Prince Rui Wen’s loyal subordinates saved him. Brought him to the northwest region. They started over, and with a few decades’ worth of time, built Xinyuan Country from the ground up. He left behind messages for his descendants. That before they possessed the power to invade the Central Plains, the king must not reveal that they were descendants of the royal family of the Great State of Hong.