Chapter 25- Qi Yunying

Li Chen furrowed his brow and asked, “Does father-in-law know you’re here?”

Qi Yunying shook his head. “Father does not know. He really wanted me to take the imperial exams half a month from now. However, I am not as good at studying as my brother. If I were to gain an official rank, it would only come from a sizable donation. Instead of failing the exam and having my father buy my way into the Qian Nu Guards, or join the capital garrison, why not just follow your honored self and forge a good future for myself?”

Qi Yunying had spoken in a very frank manner, causing Li Chen to smile. “Younger-brother-in-law is ambitious.”

To which Qi Yunying lowered his head, embarrassed. His horse neighed, shrill to the ears.

“Good,” said Li Chen. “Follow me.”

Once Qi Yunying had joined their group, the Zhou family’s uncle and nephew pair shared a perplexed glance. Qi Yunying was unaware that after he had left, Count Ziyang’s estate blew up. His father was the leader of the capital garrison. Although this position was only that of a fourth-rank official, the status it brought was nothing to scoff at. His subordinates commanded the imperial guards. Every three days they would patrol, and today was such a day. At noon, he returned home to the sight of Qi Yunying’s letter. And an instant later, his face became unsightly to the extreme. 

“This unfilial son!” Count Ziyang slammed his palm on the table. Previously, Qi Yunying had told him he wanted to temper himself and gain experience in the military. And Count Ziyang had firmly denied this second son. In his opinion, the members of his household should have long since ceded connections with the military. Yet in the end, Qi Yunying actually sneaked off.

Cold as ice, the countess said, “The count has raised a good son.”

Qi Yunshan was still studying diligently behind closed doors. As such, he did not come to know about this matter. “Master should think about it,” said the countess. “The imperial exam will be held next month. How can we explain this to others? Since it will only be Shan’er at the test site, won’t people think that I, the legitimate mother, am suppressing the illegitimate son? That I am forbidding him from taking the exam? Right, I forgot to tell the count. A few days ago, Qun’er sent a letter. Your other good son has also followed the prince to the border.”  

This caught Count Ziyang in surprise. “Yunruo?”

She gritted her teeth. “I never thought he had such measures. Truly a son born from a fox. In the future, how could our Qun’er keep her dignity?”

“Weren’t you the one who had planned this?”

The countess stood there, shocked.

Count Ziyang picked up Qi Yunying’s letter. “Help me prepare clothes. I will be entering the palace.”

She could tell his mood was of a strange flavor and did not continue to speak in a sarcastic way, calling for some servant girls to fetch his formal court robes and help him change. Count Ziyang said, “Eat dinner by yourself. You don’t have to wait for me.”

As his figure shrank into the distance, Countess Ziyang watched him, a light frown on her face.  

Martial Hero Hall.  

“…This official’s second son is crude and impetuous. As such, to fix his personality, this official has attempted to restrain him and wants him to walk the path of a civil official. Who would have known that this second son would just leave a letter explaining his departure and exit the capital like that? Perhaps he has already caught up to His Highness, Prince Chun, by now…” As Count Ziyang knelt, he helplessly said, “First, this official’s son does not have what it takes to be a leading general. Second, this official’s household has already declined over the generations. This official only hopes that the sons will build on the achievements of the predecessors on the civil path, so that in the future the family can grow. Yunying is too daring.”