Chapter 6- The Inner Courtyard

Early in the morning, Liubai carried a large bundle of books to Qi Yunruo's suite. He was not quite awake yet. To make him somewhat presentable, Liusu wiped his cheeks free of stains.

"Copy scriptures?"

A smile appeared on Liubai's lips. "That is correct. Her Highness, the princess consort, must prepare for the empress' birthday, and what better way to show filial piety than handwritten Buddhist scriptures? To accumulate good fortune for Her Highness, a few books of scriptures have been prepared for third young master to use. After a while, we'll present these copies as sacrifices at a temple."

Aware of the implications, Liusu felt worry nibbling at her chest. She looked at her master.

Yet Qi Yunruo received the books of scriptures without a hint of concern. "Thanking the princess consort for her care. And thank you, older sister Liubai, for delivering these."

Liubai smiled once more.

Once the other maidservant had left, Liusu placed her hands on her hips, fuming. "I'll say it! I'll just say it! Eldest miss has been upset for a while."

A wave of dejection crashed upon Qi Yunruo's heart. He turned around to Xiao Shan. "Inform Older Brother Ji that I can't make it today. It's a pity, since I promised yesterday to read with him."

Xiao Shan nodded and left. Meanwhile, Liusu flipped through the scriptures left behind by Liubai, her anger nearly palpable. "There's so many. It'll probably take one to two months to finish."

Qi Yunruo surrendered to his thoughts for a moment. Then he resurfaced. "Either way, she gave me a task to do."

It was his mother who had taught him how to write. One brush stroke at a time. Therefore, his calligraphy carried a feminine impression, although he himself could not tell.

The Qi Yunruo of the past had not paid respects or prayed to Buddha. That said, he still felt it better to diligently and respectfully fulfill his task. The first thing he did was wash his hands. Yet when he was about to start writing, he realized he lacked suitable brushes and paper.

Qi Yunruo felt the beginning of a headache creep upon him as he looked in the direction of Qi Niqun's main chamber. She would not like for him to bother her with such an insignificant thing. Thus, Qi Yunruo glanced at Xiao Jiu and said, "Go to Older Brother Ji and borrow some paper and brushes."

Xiao Jiu made a sound of acknowledgment and nodded.

But Liusu was shocked and obviously unamused. "Are you trying to drive eldest miss into a rage?"

"Then make sure to keep your trip secret, Xiao Jiu, so that the princess consort would not be aware."

"As soon as our people leave the suite, eldest miss will know."

Qi Yunruo felt his headache worsen. "If I had known I was missing supplies earlier, I would have given this task to Xiao Shan before she left."

He wasn't the only one who felt as though his head were splitting. Yesterday, Li Chen had spent too much energy thinking, almost finishing his buildup of duties at his post, to the point where he had this physical ailment. His headache had increased as more and more people came to ingratiate themselves with him. Therefore, he was taking a day of absence today, resting at Ji Huan's quarters.

After knocking on the front doors of Beautiful Forest, Xiao Shan entered the house. Inside, she found Yueya Er. Once Xiao Shan had informed her about Qi Yunruo's situation, Yueya Er said, "It must have troubled you to come so far. I will inform our young master. Enjoy these fruits in the meanwhile."

Having awoken a while ago, Ji Huan overheard the conversation. With slow, gentle strides he exited his main room, a slight smile on his lips. "I heard you. Go and tell Little Qi to not worry. In a few days, I will have his items prepared.