Chapter 54.1- Disturbance

Once Qi Yunruo had received Rong Sanniang’s letter, he opened it. In it, she urged him to wait a few days. After that, she could ascertain all of the belongings, money, country estates, and shops under Shui Linglong’s name. She did not inquire about why he wanted this information. The moment she had received Qi Yunruo’s letter, she completely understood.

Qi Yunruo started to write a letter expressing his thanks. Then he had a servant deliver it to Rong Sanniang. After that, he made for the outer study.  

Once he reached the door to the study, he caught sight of Li Xiuqi. Qi Yunruo stopped in his tracks and waited for him to enter first, showing his respect. But Li Xiuqi said at the door, “After you, Sir Qi.”  

Qi Yunruo broke into a smile. “Mister need not be so polite. You are all my seniors. In the prince estate, you gentlemen assist His Highness. Why should we care about these false reputations?”   

Li Xiuqi solemnly said, “Even if it’s just inside the estate, we must  take note of etiquette and social ranking.”  

Left with no other option, Qi Yunruo said, “Then I will enter first.”

Cao Manjin also arrived. From far away, he greeted him by raising his clasped hands. Smiled. “Sir Qi came over so early?”  

To which Qi Yunruo nodded. He opened the door and stepped foot within the study.  

Si De’s su*cide in the prison wasn’t a small matter. A few days prior, he had stayed quiet. Not a word had left his lips, nor did he give off the impression he had the intention to take his life. However, one day out of the blue, he shattered a water bowl. Once the prison bailiff had heard the sound, before he could arrive to Si De’s cell, Si De had already picked up a shard and sliced open his carotid artery. And he died from blood loss. The cell was dyed red. Such a sight brought bitterness to others and caused them to sigh. An official from the Ministry of Justice reported this matter to the emperor, and also presented Si De’s su*cide note. The next day, during morning court, the emperor ordered the Ministry of Justice and the Dali Temple to investigate this matter together.  

Once someone died, all the grudges and crimes related to them also dissipated. However, there were people in the court who criticized Prince Chun. Although they didn’t express this aloud, looking at one another, it went without saying. The meritorious deed from the northwest region was too grand. One less person to share it with was better than one more person. However, some people thought that if Si De had not been ambushed, Prince Chun would not have been in that much danger. And then Prince Chun would not have contributed as much. Everything that happened was by no means an isolated case.   

To avoid suspicion, Li Chen did appear personally to participate in the investigation. They couldn’t help but say that Cheng Sijie and Si De had a tacit understanding. One would not confess even in death. One did not leave behind even one witness. At present, the only witness was Prince Chun. Not to mention, Qi Yunruo’s identity was special.  Everyone could tell he belonged to Prince Chun’s estate. If he was the only person testifying that he heard Si De say he wanted to harm Prince Chun, it would be of no use. 

Recently, Li Chen had not been on duty at the Ministry of Revenue. Instead, he had stayed in the estate, leisurely reading, playing the guqin, and playing chess. Occasionally, he would sit by the lake and fish. He did not seem anxious at all.  

“…Why did Si De deliberately take his life yesterday? He did not on the road back, or after being thrown into his cell. Yet, he just suddenly died yesterday. Just who did he see?” said Li Xiuqi, frowning.    

Cao Manjin had already gone outside and inquired around. He said, “Si De did not do anything abnormal in the prison. Every day, no one visited him. Only when the jailors were around, or when people delivered his meals, or changed the bucket latrine, did he have human contact. He had not been convicted, so the petty officers of the Ministry of Justice treated him well. I heard that that was the ‘VIP cell’ of the Ministry of Justice. It’s empty and only had him living there.”