Chapter 14- House Full of Demons

Regarding the new autumn clothes, Qi Yunruo arranged for them to be made according to rank. That said, Qi Niqun took the initiative to inform him of Consort Wei's pregnancy, and that her clothes must be made with the best materials. On the other hand, Consort Ji's clothes were still made to abide by protocol.

Back when Consort Ji had managed the household, although she had never asked the textile workshop to use better quality material for her clothes, the supervisors were clever and naturally would do so to please her. After the princess consort had entered the estate, these same supervisors were afraid that others would call them ruthless, that others would accuse them of being too powerful. As such, when the princess consort first arranged for the spring season's clothes, they used the best materials for the higher-rank concubines. However, this time the estate's principal wife and Secondary Consort Wei were both pregnant. It was possible that they would both give birth to a son. Not only that, but Qi Yunruo was managing the estate, and he was a strict and unbiased person. He didn't give face to even the princess consort's people. Therefore, the servants working in the textile workshop only used common materials for Consort Ji's autumn clothes.

Qi Yunruo's current status was ambiguous. There was no protocol surrounding what he should wear. He felt that as long as he had enough clothes it was enough. This time, he only wanted two sets of outer robes. While the servants measured him, he didn't specify any preference for material. He also was not very knowledgeable of such things. The textile workshop decided on its own to use the best embroidered brocade for his outer robes. One was a shade of sapphire. One was a light yellow.

The moment Consort Ji's people came to throw her allotment of clothes and jewelry in Qi Yunruo's face, he stood in shock.

Pei Er's expression was one of reluctance, whereas Consort Ji's steward eunuch directly said, "Young Master Qi really does not want to give our master any face! Our master cannot wear such things in public. You can keep it for yourself."

Qi Yunruo furrowed his brow. He slowly said, "What is Consort Ji unsatisfied about?"

The steward eunuch broke into a cold smile. "Young Master Qi, just look at the material used for your own clothes. Now compare it to the material used for our master's things."

"Everything has been done according to protocol."

The eunuch acted as if he were listening to a huge joke. "Protocol? Her Highness, the princess consort, gave stewardship to her dowry escort who was also her brother. A man! Is this what they teach as protocol in Count Ziyang's estate? This slave dares to ask, which man is managing Count Ziyang's estate?"

Qi Yunruo sucked in a deep breath, face betraying helplessness. In his heart, the most important thing wasn't that the eunuch had insulted Count Ziyang's estate, but how to get Consort Ji's people to leave.

The eunuch saw that he wasn't talking, eyes sinister and ruthless. "Ah, this slave has forgotten. Count Ziyang isn't interested in men sexually. Could it be that a number one courtesan or a regular courtesan manages that estate? Hmph! What Young Master Qi has been taught since young should not be how to manage a household, but how to serve men!"

All of a sudden, Qi Yunruo lifted his head. His eyes were wide. He squeezed the armrest with all his strength, knuckles glowing white.

The steward eunuch wasn't the slightest bit afraid. Realizing he had hit Qi Yunruo's sore spot, his expression grew excited. "Hmph! Since the rules have been muddled since the beginning, Young Master Qi is just targeting my master. How is that fair?"

Qi Yunruo slowly rose to his feet, expression cold enough to freeze.

"...Is Young Master Qi angry? This slave did not tell any lie. Could it be that Young Master Qi's mother is from Zhiya House?"