Chapter 5- Ji Huan

After staying at the Winter Plum Courtyard for an entire month, Li Chen moved back to his own residence. And during that month, Qi Yunruo had often visited Ji Huan for a chat.

Qi Niqun cared not about his trips. On the other hand, Nanny Song did not fail to make her own opinion known repeatedly. This time, she mumbled into Qi Niqun's ear, "Third young master is always at the forecourt. Could he be trying to seduce His Highness?"

Hearing similar words so often, Qi Niqun naturally felt uncomfortable, heart twisting within her chest. Qi Yunruo's purpose was clear. That she knew. To hold the prince's affection during her pregnancy, so that his heart wouldn't sway to another consort in that time. That said, she did not inform Qi Yunruo about the plan yet. As long as she could use her brother, there was no point wasting time talking about it. However, that didn't mean she would allow him to seduce the prince out of his own volition.

In the estate, Qi Niqun wasn't the only one plagued with distress. Since Li Chen had accompanied Qi Niquin for a whole month, Secondary Consort Ji experienced the bitter tang of loneliness. As such, she wouldn't pass off a chance to give her rival some trouble.

Because Qi Niqun had recently married in, to assert her dominance and rein in control of the concubines, she ordered them to pay her respects every morning, half an hour after Li Chen left her residence for morning court. At first, there weren't any issues. The concubines paid respects and saluted accordingly.

But today was different. Today, Secondary Consort Ji personally delivered Qi Niqun's monthly allowance.

Normally, the main wife of a large and established family would manage the estate's finances and send the monthly allowances to each concubine. Secondary Consort Ji usurped that role.

She sashayed her way toward Qi Niqun. Her bow was shallow, failing to match the respectful manner in which she spoke. "His Highness has a message for the princess consort; the ledger will stay in this concubine's hands, and the princess consort will receive a monthly allowance of 6 kg of silver." A beautiful smile graced her lips. "Because this concubine did not want to waste time, rather than running a double trip, this concubine will give the allowance after paying respects."

In the blink of an eye, Qi Niqun's hands clenched into fists, knuckles glowing white. Long nails left behind red crescents on her palms. Her expression did not change as she slowly said, "Secondary Consort Ji surely must have been troubled."

However, the other woman merely smiled once more. "Such a thing is something this concubine should naturally do."

Secondary Consort Wei also had something to say. "Consort Ji has in fact gone through much trouble for this. Not to mention, she has to diligently take care of the little master while managing the estate, both inside and out. Your Highness, the princess consort, should not mind her too much."

Consort Ji smiled but did not respond.

Of the tertiary consorts, only Tertiary Consort Li received Li Chen's watchful care due to her giving birth to a daughter. Although the imperial palace had bestowed all four tertiary consorts to him, their statuses were humble. As the ones higher up on the hierarchy fought, they uttered not a peep.

Yet this wasn't the case for all of his concubines. Seeing a chance to align herself with a higher power, a very low ranked concubine, surnamed Ying, stood from her seat in the back. She bowed. "Secondary Consort Wei's words are reasonable. Although this slave is ignorant, this slave still knows that the managing power should be with the mistress of the estate. Whether the family is big or small. In the past, Secondary Consort Ji had this privilege. However, His Highness has already married the princess consort for one month. Shouldn't she be the one managing the estate now?"