Chapter 31- The Western Owl Yakshas

Roars of “Prince Chun, long live a thousand years, has arrived” reverberated through the surrounding space as Li Chen’s men rushed through the gates of Yushu Pass, the coppery scent of blood thick in the air. Nu Bi Ha could understand the Han tongue, and he narrowed his eyes dangerously upon hearing the cries. He yelled, “The son of the Han emperor has come to seek his death! Whoever kills him will be rewarded 5 kg of gold and twenty women!”

“Kill the Han prince!”

“Wipe out Yushu Pass!”

Li Chen held his long saber horizontally, gaze cold as ice. Those who had the guts to want his life should not be afraid to lose their own. He raised his saber and shouted, “Kill!”

Screams of “Kill!” rang from behind him, the product of thousands of people. Their leading general had died in these peoples’ hands a few months ago. If they lost a battle again, and the Qiang people slayed their new leading general, Yushu Pass would be finished. And they themselves would truly be branded criminals of the Great State of Kang.

As the soldiers by Li Chen’s side shielded him from attacks, he charged out toward Shangguan Ling, who only had a few personal guards with him. His body was soaked in blood, surrounded by three topless Qiang soldiers. The uniforms of these three were different from the rest. A cold smile slide across Li Chen’s face. Were these members of the so-called “Twelve Western Owl Yakshas?”

Shangguan Ling applied pressure to the wound near his heart. Surprise and happiness was apparent on his face as he gazed at Li Chen from afar. Qu Qing and Guard Fang Ge stuck close to and protected Li Chen. The night was dark, the sole light coming from the moon. Li Chen was not one bit afraid, in his heart only bloodlust. Gentlemen wielded long swords. But the best weapons to use in a battle at the border were sabers and spears. This long saber he currently held was specially prepared to fight at the border. If it was not dyed in the blood of the Qiang people, Li Chen would not return.

The three Qiang warriors could tell that Li Chen’s status was higher than that of Shangguan Ling. They shared a look. And then they charged him, bent on slaughtering him. Li Chen brandished his long saber with not a hint of hesitation or intent to dodge the assault.

Li Chen parried their attack, and upon collision, a loud clang resounded through the air. He gripped his saber’s handle with both hands, pressing forward. A scream ripped from his throat as he suddenly leaned back, from his saber’s point a dangerous glint. In the moment his opponent stood dazed, Li Chen slashed him long on the chest. But this towering and largely built Qiang soldier with a ferocious face did not seem angry. In fact, he smiled. He shouted one phrase from the Qiang tongue. One hand held his scimitar, and the other large hand spread like a fan. It looked like he didn’t have to use much strength to cast aside the Han soldiers pouncing at him.

Qu Qing and Fang Ge went against one Western Owl Yaksha each. They were barely holding on. Not only that, they needed to monitor Prince Chun’s situation. As the Western Owl Yaksha battling the prince had pounced on him, their hearts chilled. However, the prince only furrowed his brows deeply, holding his long saber horizontally before his chest to prepare for a parry. He was not afraid nor did he retreat. As soon as the Qiang soldier’s scimitar closed in, even Qu Qing who was only watching felt fatigued from the weight of the assault. The prince’s back leg slid back one inch. Everyone who witnessed this scene felt their hearts almost leap out of their chests. Yet a cold smile appeared on Li Chen’s face. He suddenly withdrew his long saber and cast it toward the sky.

The saber rapidly spun in the air and then fell back into Li Chen’s grasp. He thrust the saber forward. The Qiang soldier’s pupils dilated. Then from his lips came a spray of blood. He could not believe that that blade had pierced into him.